ENGINE OIL SHELF LIFE

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have three containers of the same motor oil, but different weights. They are dated 2018, 2016, 2015. The 15 smells odd, but not sure if it was like that when new? I put it in the engine for 15 minutes, then shut down. The 2016 there is not enough to do an oil shange. The 2018 is still a sealed gallon, enough to do a change. I googled, but went in circles. Does anyone here know factually if the 2016 is still usable?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Engine oil should last just about forever.

Oil companies say five years. I don't know why. Maybe additives can separate?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I have three containers of the same motor oil, but different weights. They are dated 2018, 2016, 2015. The 15 smells odd, but not sure if it was like that when new? I put it in the engine for 15 minutes, then shut down. The 2016 there is not enough to do an oil shange. The 2018 is still a sealed gallon, enough to do a change. I googled, but went in circles. Does anyone here know factually if the 2016 is still usable?
From Shell:
Hello John,
The recommended shelf life for Rotella T4 is four years from the manufacturing date on the container.
Best regards,
Aly Tuñgol
Shell Technical Information
1-800-237-8645 (Option 3, 1)
Lubricant answers on demand at www.lubechat.com.
Safety and technical data sheets: www.epc.shell.com.
Distributor locator: Find a Shell Lubricants Distributor.

and since my transmission uses ATF
John, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support
We recommend a five year shelf life for our ATF products. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at productsupport@valvoline.com for assistance.
Thank you and have a great day.
Brett
Valvoline Product Support

Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2008
From Shell:
Hello John,
The recommended shelf life for Rotella T4 is four years from the manufacturing date on the container.
Best regards,
Aly Tuñgol
Shell Technical Information
1-800-237-8645 (Option 3, 1)
Lubricant answers on demand at www.lubechat.com.
Safety and technical data sheets: www.epc.shell.com.
Distributor locator: Find a Shell Lubricants Distributor.

and since my transmission uses ATF
John, thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support
We recommend a five year shelf life for our ATF products. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at productsupport@valvoline.com for assistance.
Thank you and have a great day.
Brett
Valvoline Product Support

Hope this helps
John, it certainly does help. It had not dawned on me the date stamp was the manufactured date, not the expiration. I think I'll pass on the 2016 and go with the "newer" 2018. Now, another task to do before the first cruise this weekend. Thanks to all !

Jan 22, 2008
What threw me off was the Blue oil can from West was what I've always used. Hoever, the 2015&16 smelled "normal" to me. The 2018 and the one I just bought at west (19?) has a bad smell compared to the normal smell of the first two. Reading the rating and added ingredienat the two newer had a newer rating & additives, in addition to the smell. That's progrress, they would say.

Last edited: