Engine Oil Circulation

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I am getting ready for my winter oil change. After the oil change I want to make sure the new oil is circulated through the engine enough to get it to all the parts. I do not want to run it much more than necessary. How long does it typically take for new oil to get through a 2 cylinder diesel (Westerbeke W20B). All wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
about as long as it takes for the oil pressure light to go out or the pressure gauge to read operating pressure.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I would run it until it is up to temperature, so there is no condensation in the cylinders. On my Perkins, about 15 min. Of course, I do it with water cooling (bucket, water line, running water).

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sorry I don't know the scientific answer, but we usually change the oil then winterize the engine. We figure the time it takes to circulate 5 gallons of fresh water and 4.5 gallons of antifreeze is about right. The engine is already warmed from before the oil change so condensation shouldn't be too severe.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thanks for all the replies. I did a double oil change today. I changed the oil and filter then made the 15 minute trip to the fuel dock and back. After flushing the engine I changed the oil again (leaving the filter) and then ran the engine enough to get 2 gallons of anti freeze through it. Another season in the books.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I changed mine before hauling out (Yanmar 2GM20F), and ran engine for a few minutes to circulate through new filter. Topped off oil. Then ran for 15-20 minutes on day of haulout to get into the travel lift.

Greg