Install

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’ve had many overnighter (weekend) trips at anchor where the dink did not get inflated, or get deployed if already inflated, b/c of the PIA of getting the 50# OB on and off, etc., for just a little use in one day. So, I hear that.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
It's a proper name for my degree, my job is Engineering Manager.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
@pumpkinpie If you want it to be really solid, consider making a motor mount braced to the arch support. That is a big, beefy chunk of stainless steel well anchored to the deck. You could fairly easily fabricate a plate that fits over the push-pit top rail (similar to the current mount) but add a bracket to the bottom that either welds or clamps onto the arch support. It will be more off to the side but it would be a lot more solid. You may want to check height when healed first to see how far in the water the motor might end up.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Find a Yamaha 9.9 2 stroke made up until 2012 I believe (79 lbs) change the reeds out and it becomes a 15hp and still weighs (79 lbs) ,did it mine and it scary how fast the boat is . I have a 270 RIB

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Find a Yamaha 9.9 2 stroke made up until 2012 I believe (79 lbs) change the reeds out and it becomes a 15hp and still weighs (79 lbs)
Now, this is something. 30% power increase.

Gary

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Find a Yamaha 9.9 2 stroke made up until 2012 I believe (79 lbs) change the reeds out and it becomes a 15hp and still weighs (79 lbs) ,did it mine and it scary how fast the boat is . I have a 270 RIB
Or just find a Yamaha 15 2 stroke and save having to change out the reed. They are the same engine just the reeds different.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Even then you would still have to remove the engine during rough waters
:plus::plus:

Remember people shift their weight when riding in rough waters. Sea Legs.
So..

Your motor will shift its weight with the boat. Think about not only holding it up with another brace, but also holding it down.;)
A simple strong bungie cord might suffice.
Jim...

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Or just find a Yamaha 15 2 stroke and save having to change out the reed. They are the same engine just the reeds different.
However people charge more for a15hp and so does Yamaha ,and it's the same motor and in Canada any boat over 10hp must be registered and tax paid

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
However people charge more for a15hp and so does Yamaha ,and it's the same motor and in Canada any boat over 10hp must be registered and tax paid
Yes, I am in Canada, Georgian Bay. Sold a Yamaha 9.9 for $1700, doubt I would get much more for the 15 I also have. Registration doesn't cost, taxes minimal, just saying would be less hassle ? than changing out the reed.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
and in Canada any boat over 10hp must be registered and tax paid
Why would you ever want to "Register" a dinghy? Yes, you have to "License" a pleasure craft powered with a 10 HP or greater but there are no fees attached:).

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Why would you ever want to "Register" a dinghy? Yes, you have to "License" a pleasure craft powered with a 10 HP or greater but there are no fees attached:).
You must register a motorized dinghy in MI, and renew that registration every 2 years

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
You must register a motorized dinghy in MI, and renew that registration every 2 years
Possibly a subtle difference between Canada and the US. Registering a motor craft in Canada provides proof of ownership (title) whereas licensing does not. Licensing is normally conducted through the provincial government (state level) and is free where as registration is at the federal level and has a fee of about $250.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Registration (tax grab) and Registration renewal every (2) years (another tax grab) are both at the state level, Documentation is at the Federal level (Department of Homeland Security / USCG) and requires an annual renewal for $25.
Documentation is not required, but if there is a bank note on the vessel, the bank will require the vessel to be documented, which is not really a bad thing, if you have a documented vessel one does not have to display the numbers issued by the state, only the renewal tag, although many vessel do display the numbers issued by the state to avoid unnecessary inspections by the USCG or the counties Marine police.

Sep 20, 2006
Possibly a subtle difference between Canada and the US. Registering a motor craft in Canada provides proof of ownership (title) whereas licensing does not. Licensing is normally conducted through the provincial government (state level) and is free where as registration is at the federal level and has a fee of about $250.
Yes you are correct it is a Pleasue Craft License but issued through Transport Canada. The costs are when you transfer ownership and have to pay taxes.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
In Quebec all dingys must be registered regardless of hp If they are going out of Canada