End of season prep

Jun 9, 2019
MacGregor Venture 23 Boston
Hi there,
This is my first season as a boat owner, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips or tricks for end of summer prep. I'm obviously planning on doing a good cleaning top to bottom once I haul my boat out, but wondering if there is anything else I should do before putting her away for the winter? I have a Mac Venture23, outboard motor and no electronics to worry about.

In particular, how should I clean my cast iron keel? My trailer is configured so that the keel must be cranked up for the boat to fit on the trailer. Will there be growth there I'll need to clean? How do I get to it?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you leave it in the water for long periods or trailer it in and out? That would determine whether you have growth or not on the keel. If the hull is clean the keel probably is too.
Cast iron keels rust.I know, I have one. You would have to suspend your boat high enough to lower it to see if it needs attention or not.

Jun 9, 2019
MacGregor Venture 23 Boston
Do you leave it in the water for long periods or trailer it in and out? That would determine whether you have growth or not on the keel. If the hull is clean the keel probably is too.
Cast iron keels rust.I know, I have one. You would have to suspend your boat high enough to lower it to see if it needs attention or not.
I leave it on a mooring, so I'm guessing it will need some attention. Any advice on how to suspend the boat high in the air?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Most marinas have a lift that you can rent to have the boat lifted and while suspended, pressure wash the bottom of the boat and keel. That is one way it can be done.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah, what John said. We have a crane members can use. Some trailer sailors have built cradle systems using jacks to get their boats elevated. Someone will chime in on that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you have any through hull lines or drains, you should put a table spoon of the environmentally friendly anti-freeze in the line (the pink stuff). Turn on the O.B., disconnect the fuel line and let the motor die from fuel starvation, then pull our O.B. and take it home for the winter. Once you get it home, you should change the lower unit oil before winter. If you have a leak in your seals you don't want any water to freeze around the gears. And while you have your O.B. on the saw horse, go ahead and change the engine oil and plugs.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Something that big boat owners know but is not often discussed here is never bring cardboard aboard.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
If you have any through hull lines or drains, you should put a table spoon of the environmentally friendly anti-freeze in the line (the pink stuff). Turn on the O.B., disconnect the fuel line and let the motor die from fuel starvation, then pull our O.B. and take it home for the winter. Once you get it home, you should change the lower unit oil before winter. If you have a leak in your seals you don't want any water to freeze around the gears. And while you have your O.B. on the saw horse, go ahead and change the engine oil and plugs.
All great advice.

One thing I might add for consideration is pulling the prop every season and cleaning and greasing the prop shaft. I just finished doing my water pump and lower unit lube, and had to cut the prop hub off the shaft. Might not be applicable to fresh water boats, but if you're in brackish or salt water, I'd pull the prop annually. Wish I had read that part of my manual sooner...

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Will you store the boat at home? If you're in a place with a damp winter it really helps to keep a lightbulb and dehumidifier running. I checked the current draw on the dehumidifier in my basement and was surprised at how low it was, so I bought a second one for the boat. Here in the Pacific north west it really helps. I have no room in my house for the cushions so they stay in the boat all winter but, with the dehumidifier, it's not a problem.

Jan 19, 2010
I leave it on a mooring, so I'm guessing it will need some attention. Any advice on how to suspend the boat high in the air?
Most marinas have a lift that you can rent to have the boat lifted and while suspended, pressure wash the bottom of the boat and keel. That is one way it can be done.
If your marina does not have a lift, you might be able to ask a local mechanic if you can rent a few hours of time on his auto lift.

If you are keeping it on a trailer over winter, there are several tricks to getting at the bottom. The lazy (and less efficient) is to lower the trailer tongue all the way down, then block off the transom (I use a picnic table) and then raise the tongue all the way up. Your boat will be suspended about 6" by the bow chock and the picnic table and you can get to most of the bottom. A less easy way is to build a frame and hoist it with tow straps (done that too -- see pics). AND I once helped a friend with a Mac 21 and we hung his from a few stout branches from a very large oak tree. The entire boat was hanging in the air. But it was a small boat and a big tree so it was a unique set of conditions.
1112110952.jpg
1112110953.jpg

new_paint_starboard.jpg

1111111639b.jpg

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
such a good ideal to let it run out of gas while still on boat/in water... I have to set up a water tank here at home because I didn't do that step yet :(

Jan 19, 2010
such a good ideal to let it run out of gas while still on boat/in water... I have to set up a water tank here at home because I didn't do that step yet :(
@sbcwolff
I went sailing yesterday... just rubbing it in a little.....:thumbup: I fuel starve my motor every time I come back to the dock. I disconnect the fuel line while the O.B. is running and then I do all the things one does to make the boat ready to leave. While I'm doing that, the O.B. dies at some point. Then I reconnect the line so a spider or some other garbage does not get in my fuel line connectors.
IMG_2029[1].JPG

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
@sbcwolff
I went sailing yesterday... just rubbing it in a little.....:thumbup: I fuel starve my motor every time I come back to the dock. I disconnect the fuel line while the O.B. is running and then I do all the things one does to make the boat ready to leave. While I'm doing that, the O.B. dies at some point. Then I reconnect the line so a spider or some other garbage does not get in my fuel line connectors.
View attachment 171601
ah! So jealous! It was 43F here today, and I tried to convince Adam to take out the compac (our 16ft "quick launch" boat)- but alas.... we spent the day cleaning!!
We are going to try and sail Friday, but it may only be a high of 30F (brrrrr)

Jan 19, 2010
On another thread this weekend (I think titled "Winter Sailing") there was a lot of enthusiasm for those ceramic camping heaters that use a propane bottle. I might get a small one for my H26. I think here in AL, I can sail all winter with a little help. I'll also invest in a CO detector. :thumbup:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
is anything else I should do before putting her away for the winter?
If you have water/waste lines or tanks those should also be winterized with pink RV antifreeze. I personally like filling my bilge with antifreeze. I'd also recommend something like Damp Rid dehumidifiers if you dont have any power available. Never totally seal your boat shut. That'll trap humidity inside

ceramic camping heaters that use a propane bottle
My cabin turned into a sauna in less than an hour with the same heater Jack posted a photo of. Wow these things can pump out heat!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
My cabin turned into a sauna in less than an hour with the same heater Jack posted a photo of. Wow these things can pump out heat!
Good to know. Maybe I have some January sailing in my future....:thumbup: