Enclosing the Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Does anyone have any type of plan to enclose the head on an older Mac/Venture 25? Since I will be putting the boat away for the winter soon, I was thinking of doing some projects. I have another one, but I will post it on another thread.

As for the head, I have bulkhead behind the dinette, so I need to get ideas for emclosing that side of the v berth, and a door. I was thinking to make the door work double duty, and have it close off the head, but also open all the way to add privacy to the v berth for changing, and/or sleeping, so I might try to latch it to the galley near the ice chest... If that makes sence.

Thanks,

Nik

Mar 15, 2008
MacGregor 26D Valparaiso, Indiana
That is the way it is designed on my Mac26D. Door to the head also closes off the V-berth. It's cut out along the bottom to clear the seat.

Nik

Mac

Jun 7, 2006
MacGregor 25 KEUKA lake NY
I just

added some material with velcro to isolate the head and v birth. You need more room for the bathroom and I think a door would really make it a small area. The curtain goes from top to bottom and works great.

Jul 20, 2006
Macgregor 25 Rohnert Park
ask dave

if I recall you liked the way he had his done. Of course we could do a mock up in cardboard

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
On my Mac 25, a bulkhead was added on the galley side, right across from the original starboard bulkhead.

The galley was permanently attached to the new bulkhead, and a cabinet was installed fore of the new bulkhead. The swinging door is also the door for one of the cabinet openings.

A door was attached to the new bulkhead, that swings between the two bulkheads, making a private space up front.

The door has a sign that says, "head".

Apr 25, 2005
Dancing Bear

Do you have any pictures at all? The more detail, the better. I am thinking I can do the door with 1/8" plywood, and reinforce it where needed, or go with 1/2", but I am not totally clear on your other bulkhead.

Thanks,

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Re: Dancing Bear

Here is a pic. I should add I don't use that Coleman stove inside the cabin. I do use the sink as a tool box storage compartment.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
also vote for curtain

I think the 26C is similar.. The 26C has a latched door on the head but in my opinion, was just too cramped to use (in any 25 or 26 foot boat..) and also, my kids would always leave the latch undone and the door would swing back and forth when we were sailing.

So I dumped the door and put in a curtain in a different location than the door which gives a lot more room and the curtain never causes any problem when sailing. The curtain rod is simply two stainless eye straps holdling a bungee cord which so far, seems to work welll.

Maybe a picture of the curtain location will show up?

(testing the new edit) - also, I think these boats are relitively fast because they are light weight. So lately, Ive also been trying to keep any new changes light weight. The head door was a fairly large peice of wood and also significantly above the water line. The curtain weighs almost nothing..

Attachments

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
Another Curtain

I have installed a curtain similiar to Walt's, only I used a sliding track set up that I got from Sailrite.(www.sailrite.com/Snap-On-Tape-For-Curtains) I left the door in place as I like to be able to stow stuff in there andhide it. Also I had this idea that one could swing the door open towards the V birth, pull the curtain, and be hidden from both sides. I agree that the enclosed head is way to small to use with the door closed.
Walt, is that a cheek block on your boathook, and if so, what do you use it for?

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
block on boat hook - an "experiment" that didnt work out. I had a rope loop at the end of the boat hook which I thought was going to allow the 13 year old "crew" to hook a dock cleat when bringing the boat in during windy conditions. It ended up being too complicated and unreliable and too much safety risk for the kid.

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
boat hook

Thanks Walt it had me curious - thought maybe you had rigged up some sort of poor man's whisker pole. My appologies to Gregg for momentarily highjacking this thread.:redface:

Sep 18, 2006
Macgregor 25 Jordan Lake, Apex NC
I'm assuming you didn't buy the boat new. My 25 has the head completely enclosed with paneling. I have seen pix of a 25 that has a curtain in place of the door. Food for thought.

Oct 6, 2008
Macgregor Venture 25 St Louis, MO
I'm guessing he has a Venture 25 like I do. The last year for Venture was '79. The head was not enclosed in those.

Apr 25, 2005
John and Marty I do have a Venture 25 and it is a 1979. I know the newer ones came enclosed, and I hope to enclose it for the admiral. She is a shy one, and I see all of the posts that it will be too small to use, but we are both very short, and we sleep in the V berth and she hates sleeping with her head next to the head. I hope it won't cost me too much to build.

Thanks for the postings, as soon as I complete it I will post, but I am sure Ya'll will hear from me before this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.