Electrical Refit Done!

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
Our new-to-us Catalina 22 was in pretty good shape. We have only had to repair and update minor things. The electrical however... I don't know how they even sailed with this setup... not that it wouldn't "work" (although turns out it didn't)... but just the shear mess would drive me crazy. And it did, so I took care of it.

Decided to not even attempt clean up and troubleshooting.
  • Stripped out everything down and essential started from scratch (although, keeping the factory wiring in place).
  • Removed the Catalina panel and bought my own ( 1 )
  • Was able to reuse the fuse box ( 2 ) that was already on the boat and only being used for the cabin lights?
  • re-routed the VHF radio, Stereo, Stereo Speakers, Starboard dome light, fan, and depth finder wiring
    • moved the VHF to the table side, moved the fan to the starboard side
  • added LED strips ( 3 ) to the V birth with new switches
  • built cedar panel bezel to adapt the new panel to the factory space claim
  • built cedar 'shelves' which also holds the stereo

Attachments

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Beautiful job! Hey, where did u get that awesome panel? Love the voltage read out.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
The electrical plan sketch is good idea I put copy of mine on compartment cover under cushion of aft dinette seat above the battery, panel etc as reference. Helps in a fix. Color coded wiring and fuse links help to find any problems too.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That's some 1st class looking work. Thanks also for the links - the voltage meter on the panel is great. Looks like my next project...

Apr 28, 2020
thank y'all. was a fun project. I think next time I'll consolidate a little more and get a breaker panel so I don't have to have a separate fuse box.

Feb 9, 2020
Catalina 22 Louisville Sailing Club
Looks great, I am going ti have to think about a few of your ideas when I get to the elect rewire point.

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
I think I am going to piggy back your ideas on this SD. I recently acquired an 86 boat and plugged in yesterday am for the first time. The only lights that worked were the bow and the deck lights. Checked all the fuses and everything looked okay. Checked the bulbs in the cabin... okay. The plastic 4 pin deck connector looks like it might have been stripped. I will replace that with 4 pin chrome. I hope the rest of the wiring is okay. I like your amazon unit and it's a damn sight cheaper than the CD $197.41. Have you relocated your battery forward?

Apr 28, 2020
Battery is still in the cockpit. It's not a terrible spot for now, but I would like to move it inside and install a bulkhead shore power connection