Edson Wheel Leather

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Has anyone replaced the leather on their Edson wheel using the leather kit Edson sells? If so how hard is it to get it tight and professional looking like the factory job? and as you answer keep in mind I have no sewing or craft skills.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Kevin,

I'm guessing none of us did either! :) ...before we started...

Two tricks:

1. Follow the directions

2. Work it so the "joint" is at the BOTTOM of your wheel when it's centered. That's where you "start" and your "needlework" will only get better as you come around the wheel. Plus, the top of your wheel will have smooth leather and good looking stitches.

Good luck.

We took our wheel home with us and did it while watching movies on TV.

Last edited:

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Concur with Stu. Mine has been on for 7-8 years. It looks and feels great.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Has anyone replaced the leather on their Edson wheel using the leather kit Edson sells? If so how hard is it to get it tight and professional looking like the factory job? and as you answer keep in mind I have no sewing or craft skills.
if you can sew a baseball you can do the wheel it is just cross stitching...i learned this from my friend at Rawlings back in the early 90's

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Wheel.jpg
Wheel.jpg Easy Job,
I built a stand that holds the wheel, this allowed me to spin the wheel in front of my chair, instead of having it roll around the room, also while watching movies. Take your time, it's a great project for those really cold wintery days. The kits come with the foam padding you place under the leather, that's a nice feature. I also added the optional spoke leather pieces. They are about 6 inches long, stitch into the wheel cover and add a nice look to your wheel and give you good grip while sailing.
Follow Stu's lead and orient the work first for a great look.
The one piece of advise I can give you is...wear your sailing glove, there is a lot of pulling on the thread, yours hands will thank you.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
IMG_1083.JPG
If you want something a bit more simple try a French knot. Just an overhand knot over and over and over. I'd also recommend a turks head (you will know your knots after tying this one) at the top of the wheel when centered and two turks heads on top when the rudder is 5 degrees from straight to indicate the proper weather helm for best preformance.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Like Bill I've usually wrapped with paracord using the French knot (half hitches,) you can change direction by throwing them the other way, with 2 lines you can make a diamond pattern. However, recently I saw a method on another forum and used it on my 40" wheel. You catch each loop so you don't have to keep going around with all the line, seemed a little faster, still took a couple days and blisters. BTW I went right over the top of the old leather cover which was starting to develop holes from wear and torn stitching.
Also I put the braid up for a good grip, I was informed after the fact by my wife that was backwards. Should have put it inside, so check with the helmsperson as to their preference.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Yea CT, just about any knot can be pressed into repeated use to give interesting patterns. Leather is fine if that is your thing but ploy line holds up better to the weather. I use cloths line, about 100' and a six pack over three days, the last day being those turks head knots.

edguy3

Jul 20, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Liberty Landing, NJ
My wheel had a ripping joint seam. After realizing that my attempts to resew the leather were not working well, I put a turks head to cover one joint and a simple lash on the opposite side. Each was about 1.5" in length. The different knots give a subtle texture that allows quick wheel orientation. Although it felt like a hack, I was very happy with the result. ( and I, too, did the job in front of the TV)

/ed

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Like Bill I've usually wrapped with paracord using the French knot (half hitches,) you can change direction by throwing them the other way, with 2 lines you can make a diamond pattern. However, recently I saw a method on another forum and used it on my 40" wheel. You catch each loop so you don't have to keep going around with all the line, seemed a little faster, still took a couple days and blisters. BTW I went right over the top of the old leather cover which was starting to develop holes from wear and torn stitching.
Also I put the braid up for a good grip, I was informed after the fact by my wife that was backwards. Should have put it inside, so check with the helmsperson as to their preference.
that loop knot would make the install go faster as it covers twice what a half hitch would in the same action