Easily removeable port visors / a great DIY project !

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Seaworthy port visor retaining brackets

I have a 1991 Hunter 42 that I have owned for 10 years and really enjoyed every day spent on the boat. In Sydney, Australia , our climate is semi tropical so ventilation on a boat is essential. In summer we regularly get rain showers and storms, and during spring and autumn overnight dew can be quite heavy. I was tired of having to close my ports during rain, and also tired of wet patches on interior sections after overnight dew due to leaving ports open . Seaworthy’ s port visors looked to be the answer, so I ordered a full set for my boat. Once they arrived, I realised I had a problem!
The port visors method of attachment to the vessel is via strips of 3M adhesive foam tape which clearly means they are permanently mounted. This works really well, BUT, on many vessels they will be at constant risk of being either damaged or knocked / torn off. On my sailboat my genoa lines are at constant risk of ripping the port visors off. On power boats there is the risk of the port visors being accidently kicked off with people moving around the boat, especially when underway in a sea.
I contacted Seaworthy re this issue and asked if they had considered offering permanently fixed accessory brackets with which you could fit or remove the port visors at will- they said, they had no interest. The solution was really quite simple and makes for a great DIY project. Each Seaworthy visor has a groove or indentation running around the entire top edge. This provides a great opportunity to use SS grub screws to screw down into this groove to secure the visor. I went to the hardware store and bought lengths of 1”x1/8” aluminum bar. I cut this to length to suit each different visor length. I then used Sikaflex to join the 2 cut lengths with a ½” overlap. I used clamps to secure the 2 strips of aluminum until the Sikaflex had cured. I then drilled and tapped holes for my SS grub screws which would retian the port visors- I used M4 allen headed ( don’t forget to use a never seize grease due to dissimilar metals). I actually spray painted mine to match my gelcoat and panel colours. Finally, I used 3M glazing tape to secure the brackets to the boat. Now, after we have docked or anchored for the night, it’s a simple and fast matter of going around and fitting my port visors via the grub screw retainers, only finger tight. I have left the original factory supplied 3M adhesive gasket insitu on the visors without having removed the tape from the adhesive. Mine have now been in use for some years and even with only light finger tight pressure of the grub screws, this has been enough pressure to provide a weather tight seal.
When fitting your new brackets, make sure you leave enough distance above the port frame to be able to remove the visor easily- I find on my boat I need to raise the visor about 3/8”>1/2” above the port frame.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Very clever.............I like it when sailors add value to their boats!!