dry tortugas

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

s. frumkes

We are planning a trip from Charlotte Harbor Fl. down to the Dry Tortugas in May. I have heard that the usual northern approach to the anchorage on the east side has shoaled in and the charts from just a couple years ago are no longer good (new charts show it is still navigable but I'm not sure of the accuracy of them). Has anybody been there recently? Can I still get to the anchorage from the north or do I have to come around the west side of the island and get into the anchorage from the south. Also, when sailing from Ft. Jefferson to Key West, is the best route on the south side of the islands (through the SW channel) or the north. Any information from someone who has been there would be appreciated.

B

Bob Bass

Fort Jefferson

We visited Fort Jefferson last spring and had a wonderful time. Don't even think about approaching the anchorage along the eastern side of the fort. Besides, it is only a short distance around by the west and you get some great Kodak moments. The best route back to Key West is along the south of the chain of islands. Be ready for an inspection at the fort by the local Potty Police, though.

S

Stephen Ostrander

shoaling

When I was there in Oct. the pass was shoaled in and only very shallow draft power boats w I/Os could pass through. Steve O. S/V Rhondezvous

B

Bill Jones

Go Around

I was there last July and you could wade across the narrow north entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.