Dry Tortugas

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen Ostrander

Just got back from a 1 week charter to the DTs. We got there right after Irene passed through so we basically had the place to ourselves, (except for the babes who were topless sunbathing on the beach.) Snorkeling on the reefs was tremendous. Ft. Jefferson was way cool. Got into a storm cell on the way back, 12' waves, 35kn gusts, driving rain. Its true that the boat can take more than the crew. Can't wait to go again!

M

Michael O'

Wanna' Go!

We've been trying to get to the Dry Tortuga's for a couple of years and "something" always comes up.... we'll try again this spring. I've heard that anchoring is problematic at best - what were your experiences setting the hook? Did you set out from Key West, and did you make it in one day or anchor out over-nite? Sounds like a great trip! We'll likely charter from Florida Sailing Charter Club via Key West. Michael O'

B

Bill Jones

D.T. July 99

We made the trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas this past July using two chartered Hunters from Florida Yacht Charters. We had a couple 40.5's. We didn't want to spend the night in route so we motorsailed both ways. While there, we met a cruising band out of Maderia Beach who played for food. Several boats put together a potluck, listened to real "beach music" in the shadows of Fort Jefferson and fed themselves and the band. I don't think you get that experience with Carnival. We ran into 35 plus knots of wind for quite some time on the outbound trip, with a summer squall that lasted four hours. So much for those 30 minute Florida afternoon rain storms. If you enjoy fishing, you can catch dinner on the way out by trolling. We landed five Kingfish. It requires a gaff and the right fishing rig, but as they say, a good time was had by all. Bill Jones Georgetown, Kentucky

S

Stephen Ostrander

to Michael O'

We sailed out of Burnt Store Marina at Punta Gorda. Took 24 hrs motor sailing straight thru to get there. On the return trip thru the storm it took 10 hrs longer due to motoring into wind and and chop. Excursion boats and float planes run out of Key West if you get that far. Anchoring was no problem, we used a CQR and it held OK but it was calm while we were there. Definetly take a dingy or you will be swimming a lot, USPS won't let you use their docks. Don't let the barracudas bother you, just remove all shiny jewelry. We had a five-footer living under the boat!

G

Gene Gruender

anchoring is no problem

>We've been trying to get to the Dry Tortuga's for a couple of years and >"something" always comes up.... we'll try again this spring. I've heard that >anchoring is problematic at best - what were your experiences setting the >hook? We've been there twice in Rainbow Chaser `- once straight from Tampa, the second time straight from Mobile. We found holding to be very good, we waited out a blow there. You'll notice the fishermen who stay through a blow will let out huge amounts of scope. The sand holds well. The secret is in sufficient scope. > Did you set out from Key West, and did you make it in one day or >anchor out over-nite? It's about 12 hours or so from the entrance to key West. We were going the other way, Tortugas to Key West, we left at sundown, got to the north entrance to Key West just before daylight. We don't like night entrances, so we'd rather do the overnighter. The Dry Tortugas are a great place to spend a couple days and try the cruising lifestyle away from services, but not too far away.

F

Frank Hall

Dry Tortugas.....great!!

My fiance' and I sailed from Key West last New year's to DT's.... great two days there..... set two anchors and had no problems...except backing down on dinghy painter and fouling prop at anchor..... had dive gear to remove, thankfully!! Had a cold front hammer us on return to Tampa.... had to put in at Punta Gorda for rest after all night in 8-10 fott seas and top wind gusts of 50 knots.... first storm experience for us and boat held up better than we did.... will go again... some great dive sites in area...

G

George Lamb

Take My Boat!!!

If you are getting ready to hit the Dry Tortugas, or the Keys please take my boat!! Our new 460 will be delivered to Florida Yacht Charters in January. It will be the only sailboat with a 4 cabin layout that they have. We of course want to charter it as much as possible. Call the Miami office and ask for BlackSheep. Thanks!! George

E

euro

CooooooooooooooooooooL

never quite understood what you north americans have about the women being topless - every one of them do in europe - where the weather is warm enough - the top bit is worn for support mainly when walking, exercising, or handling the boat, for us sailors. nothing out of the ordinary or to get particuarly excited about. nice, yes, but nothing out of the ordinary. time to sail europe to be 'CooooooooooooooooooooooL' as you say here. by the way, excellent sailing there! (just seen the article re DT). euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.