Drain for the Port locker?

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
As I was adding things to the port locker yesterday, I noticed a little bit of water at the very forward end. There's a small lip the length of the locker that looks like it's designed to keep things from rolling over it and going down under the cockpit where you'd really have to work to grab them. The problem is, any water that gets down there and doesn't make it over the lip (and then down to the 'bilge') just sits there. I was considering drilling a small hole under the aft port dinette seat so that the water could drain into the bilge area under the step. But I don't want to drill a hole that I don't need to. I know some models have a bilge pump installed in that locker, but mine (1972) does not. I suppose I could just go sail it and let the water slosh over the lip as well.

Has anyone else tackled this?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Some have done this to convert port aft cockpit locker to a fuel locker s discussed in this thread:

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I drilled "limber holes" in every compartment that could hold water. I didn't want any water collecting anywhere other than the bilge.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I put a limber hole in the port lazarette with a screw in cap, works great, only have to open it if water accumulates in there
Limber hole for portside (1).jpg
Limber hole for portside (2).jpg