Doyle Full Batton Main Roller Furling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Full Batten Main Roller Furling Jamming

Would like to start a discussion on others experiences and best practices.

So I have a H 38 with the Doyle full batten main installed. I had a lot of trouble with it jamming. I finally had UK Halsey in Kemah Texas rework the sail. I had them put a batten in each pocket that only covers the roach area. The battens are around 12 feet long max. This has worked great. No more screwing around with topping lifts and boom vangs when furling.

Has anyone else tried this? I noticed that on the new Hunters they got away from the full vertical battens and went to a roach length only system. What is the down side? I do not think there is one.

Last edited:

MsEmee

Nov 30, 2008
Catalina 445 Key Biscayne Fl
I just installed a partial vertical batten Mack Sails mainsail on my 2006 Hunter 36. I went sailing with it twice this past weekend. With a positive roach, which increased the sail area 10%, this sails rocks compared to the unbatten mainsail. I easily gain more speed and control now over the mainsail. I had to reef the sail on Sat with 22 knots apparent wind. Boat was in more control than my previous sail. The wind polars are all positive on all points of sail. I would have to say at least 1/2 to one knot better depending on the wind angle.
The negatives so far is it takes more effort to unfurl and furl the sail. With the thicker material, and battens I have to use the winch to get it started. I talk to Mack Sails about it and they told me I have to "Train the sail" to furl. Once that is down it should get easier. Also since the battens are on the port side, it will help to roll the sail back in with the boom on the starboard side. Collins from Mack also suggested I put in a outhaul stopper on the boom near the boom vang to help unfurl/furl it better. This will pull the sail out on both the leach and foot equally vs the leach on the present set-up. They will install one when I get the new gas spring for the boom vang.

Status
Not open for further replies.