Downwind racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shep Zedaker

I need more speed down wind! I have a 150 which we could pole out, but most other boats we are racing against have spinnakers. Should I get a semmetrical or a reaching spinnaker? Does a 1993 H27 (wing keel) do better downwind by broad reaching or by running? I can't pull up a board like many of my competitors. What is the best weight of sail cloth for mostly light winds (>10 kts). Should the spinnaker be rigged at the mast head or at the same place as the jib (7/8?). Thanks. shep

M

Michael Cohn

Hi Shep

You are probably going to want a 1/2 or at most 3/4 oz tri-radial spinnaker (symmetrical). If the wind is persistently under 10 knots, go with the 1/2 oz. For best performance downwind, you are going to need to gybe repeatedly rather than sailing dead downwind. DDW is both slow and also dangerous. I personally think masthead is better, but there are probably people who would disagree. Remember, you are going to need a pole (I suggest carbon if you can afford it), preferably with a trigger latch on both ends, a topping lift, and a foreguy, if you don't already have these things. Lastly, remember that a spinnaker can be a very dangerous sail if you don't know how to use it properly. MC

M

Michael Cohn

Hi Shep

You are probably going to want a 1/2 or at most 3/4 oz tri-radial spinnaker (symmetrical). If the wind is persistently under 10 knots, go with the 1/2 oz. For best performance downwind, you are going to need to gybe repeatedly rather than sailing dead downwind. DDW is both slow and also dangerous. I personally think masthead is better, but there are probably people who would disagree. Remember, you are going to need a pole (I suggest carbon if you can afford it), preferably with a trigger latch on both ends, a topping lift, and a foreguy, if you don't already have these things. Lastly, remember that a spinnaker can be a very dangerous sail if you don't know how to use it properly. MC

C

Clement

'93 27 downwind

Unless I'm mistaken, the '93 model is the same as my '89 model, sometimes listed as the H27-2. This boat uses a fractional rig similar to the J27. The mast does not provide for a means to fly a spinnaker from the masthead. There is a sheave for a spinnaker halyard located just above the headstay. If you really want to race in a spinnaker fleet, you will need to do some serious work on adding topping lift, downhaul, turning blocks, etc. I suggest buying an asymetrical chute that is much easier to fly without all of the extra rigging. I race mine in non-spin and I don't sail lower than 150 degrees, meaning I gybe back and forth. good luck.

M

Michael Cohn

Sym vs. Asym

I agree, the asym is definitely easier to use, and does not require all of the extra rigging. It makes a great cruising chute. However, if your goal is to win races, then you are going to need a symmetrical chute in order to be competitive. Asym's are not competitive except on a few ultralights, and your boat isn't one of those. I think you will enjoy racing with your new sail and find lots of ways to be creative with it! MC

Status
Not open for further replies.