Double down on Amp-Hours? Battery prices might be taking a jump.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
It's just a rumour I heard yesterday from the owner of a residential/light commercial and RV solar company but his words were "There may be a big jump in battery prices soon, something about the lead in them. I think it'll be sometime in June."

So I'm wondering if I should go back to Costco and grab two more GC batteries now before the price hike in case I decide later that I need more amp hours in the battery bank. They are 200 and something Ah batteries. Do I need 400? And do I want the weight on board? Given the % discharge discussions I've been reading up on maybe I should.....

What do you all think? With Costco's return policy I could just take them back in July if the prices don't shoot up.....

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Oh man I'm bad for spending money to save money. I better get my hear wrapped around what our potential energy needs might be. I'm quite certain 200Ah is plenty.....

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Just an update. My solar guy today said the new prices coming in on Trojans is up 20%.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Buying batteries you don't need "just in case", and then returning them months later for no reason, doesn't exactly make batteries more affordable for the rest of us. Like people who buy a tool, use it once and return it for a refund.

I take a dim view of this practice.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I often wonder if there is really a need for so much reserve power.
It seems that after the first day on the water we start living on mother earth's time. Resting and talking by liquid candle light and going to sleep early and up with the sun.
The load with everything on, instruments, GPS, 2 fans, Running lights, inside lights, deck light, anchor light,three trailer like inside lights is protected by one 10 amp fuse at the battery. The radio has it's own fuse and is wired direct to the battery and is always on.
We started with a pair of group 27 deep cycle batteries from Costco with 12 month warranted then group 24 auto batteries with five year warranted (smaller and lighter) and when these go will look for smaller batteries.
Outboard motor is a 8 HP Yamaha 2 stroke with a pull start and a 6 amp charging system. If you are worried about starting your 9.9 think of a motorcycle battery that will start a 200 HP engine.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I often wonder if there is really a need for so much reserve power..
Refrigeration....I kind of like it on the trips I take and it is the big user. I like to know I can get through 3-4 days of cloudy weather if needed. I also use a CPAP machine most of the time and that can be about another 12 amp/hr a day. Without those a 100 watt panel or less and two batteries would be fine,

Sumner
================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas