documentation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello, I have recently purchased a 1986 O'day 35. The boat is currently documented with the coast guard. I am trying to determine if there is any reason why or why not to continue the documentation. I have visited the coast guard site, and it seems like it would cost $84 for the Exchange of Certificate of Documentation and $8 to record the Bill of Sale. Is that correct? What is the benefit of documentation? I don't see any advantage for me. Thanks, Barry Barry Lenoble Curragh, 1986 O'day 35 Mt. Sinai, NY lenoble@optonline.net

D

Don

doc purposes

If you are planning to cruise outside the U.S., it's necessary. Boats within the U.S. are documented for purposes of securing financing. Documentation and state registration are not mutually exclusive - most states, including NY, require registration (and the attendant fees) regardless of documentation

D

droopy

I would keep it

In New Jersey we don't have to place registration numbers on a doc. boat. Second, it will cost you money to un-doc the boat too. Third, doc does not cost you anything to renew. Last, it offers a better proof of ownership than a state title. I am not sure what is cost. You can save money and do it yourself oe hire an agent for around $500. It is a boat. Be prepare to spend money on it!

T

tom

Proof of Ownership

Since the boat is already documented I think that you just have to show proof of ownership such as a bill of sale from the documented owner. If there is a loan they will send the document to the bank. I did it myself and it was easy. I called and they were very helpfull. My boat's PO had financed the boat and it took several weeks to get the paperwork from his bank and then the feds were slow. You can state register the boat and put numbers on it until you get the new documents. Technically you aren't supposed to use the boat until the documentation papers are complete!!!! If stopped just show the state registration papers. If you aren't sailing for the winter now is the time to change the documents. If your boat is stolen and not documented the chances of getting it back are much less than with a documented boat. Remember that state registration is not proof of ownership. Someone could steal your boat take it to another state and register it with little or no paperwork. Fake a bill of sale and they get the numbers. State registration is just proof that you have paid taxes at least in most states. ...but documentation is by no means a guarantee that you will get your boat back.

Oct 25, 2005
Macgregor 22' Long Beach
documentation

When I purchased my 30' Catalina the company financing it required that it be documented. I found it to be cheap, easy, trouble free and was not required to show and numbers on the outside of the boat. For the 7 years I owned it and sailed the west coast I was never stopped by the Coast Guard even though I did have a plate inside the boat with the document numbers, as required by law. Novelman

W

Wayne Rigby

Now or never

If you let documentation lapse, it can be tough to get it back for the next owner. You have to prove ownership with CG bill of sales and one gap in the record makes it near impossible. Since it is documented now, keep it documented. If you cruise from state to state, it makes it easier too. You don't have to re-register (with hefty fees) after 90 days. Its not hard to do, don't hire anyone - do it yourself.

G

Gerry

Must be a US citizen

Another important thing which may affect your decision. You must be a US citizen to document a boat or own a documented boat.

R

Red

They're from the gov'ment & they're here to help u

Honest. www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm If you can't get direct answers online, email or all them, the NVDC folks are outright helpful and the process is nowhere near as complex or mystical as folks seem to think it is.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Doc boat

Barry, I had my boat documented when I bought her in-part due to the financing. As others said, you do not have to show any numbers on the hull or sails. Also, figure I should be preparedd if I get a sudden urge to sell my business, liquidate a few things and leave for the islands.......... Greg 1986 P36-2 Four the Soul Mt. Sinai, NY (for now...)

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Now I'm confused

My 27' Hunter which was purchased last year has the documentation number in the v berth. I have no idea which p/o documented it and how long ago that was. I have the title, is that proof enough of ownership? Would I have to track down the original "documentor" if I decide to pursue this?? Manny

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Documentation number stay with vessel for ever.

Manny: The documentation number stay with the boat for ever. If you want to re-document the boat, the only difference is that you will use the original number. You would still be required to pay all of the fees. They are around $130.

Jun 6, 2004
- - E. Greenwich, RI
Manny...

Click the link and enter your doc number. You'll find out how long it has been since the docs were up-to-date. You can also search by boat name. It was less than $100 for me to transfer the docs to my name when I bought my boat. Costs to "undocument" the boat? No way. All you do is never renew. Annual renewal costs nothing. The NVDC sends you the form, and if there are no changes to make, you simply sign and date it and return. The NVDC will then send you your new document. Cheers, Bob P.S. Here's the URL for the NVDC: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm Five them a call, they have always been friendly and helpful.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Speaking of renewal

Has anybody received their letter from the Coast Guard to confirm documentation for next year yet? Last year I never received it, but a phone call to the Documentation Center got me a duplicate quickly... and free.

M

monty

renewal

they are trying to switch to an electronic renewal system. if you paid online you will get an email. if you dont respond you will get a letter, you may anyway. I got the email and renewed, never got the letter they said might come anyway.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Never received an e-mail

I just checked their website and see no mention of e-mail renewal. Maybe I'll give them a call Monday. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.