Do more zincs last longer?

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
My boat has been in the water for about two months now. I checked the heat exchanger zinc yesterday and it was about 60% dissolved so I replaced it. Later in the day I quickly swam under the boat to check the one zinc on the prop shaft. I couldn't get a good look at it as I could only find a child size mask on board and had to hold it to my face with one hand while swimming. However I did grab the zinc with my hand and in one spot was able to crush part of it in.

My 3 questions are

Would having 2 zincs instead of one on the prop shaft slow how quickly they dissolve?

Is a zinc lasting 2 months average/normal?

Does anyone in the Narragansett bay area know of divers that could replace the zinc? (I'm new to the area and have not learned all the local resources yet)

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
You can contact Shoreline Diving Services - Capt. Richard Marquardt - Narragansett, RI
I've used his services in the past and highly recommend Capt. Richard. Honest as the day is long.
I also have sent you a PM with further info.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Would having 2 zincs instead of one on the prop shaft slow how quickly they dissolve?

Is a zinc lasting 2 months average/normal?

Does anyone in the Narragansett bay area know of divers that could replace the zinc? (I'm new to the area and have not learned all the local resources yet)
Adding more zince can exacerbate the problem because you are effectively creating a battery by adding more anode material. Stated differently, adding more zinc is putting a bandaid on the infection. A zinc should last longer than a couple of months - sometimes a whole season. I'd find the problem before it destroys your prop.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The mass of zincs on the shaft will increase the life expectancy. The surface area will increase the electrical potential to the max. theoretical.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My boat lives on a mooring during the boating season. Zincs last 1-2 years. I have replaced a zinc just because I felt guilty to leave it.
My mooring location is Prime Marina in East Greenwich. I have used a bottom cleaner with excellent results. I am certain he could replace your zinc. His contact info is:
Todd Patenaude
Diver at East Greenwich
155 Howland Road
East Greenwich, RI 02818
Bus: (401) 487-9198
Bottom Cleaning $120 after 8 weeks in the water - 7/31/19

Regarding adding more zincs- It is possible to "over-zinc". I think you really need to make electrical measurements using a Silver/Silver Chloride Half Cell to be sure you have the right amount of zinc to protect your particular boat.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Adding more zince can exacerbate the problem because you are effectively creating a battery by adding more anode material.
Not disagreeing that the increased surface are will increase the potential, but how does it make the problem worse ?

I remember years ago being moored in a marina which doubled as a boat graveyard and in order to increase the short life expectancy of the two shaft zincs, I used to hang a 12" X12" zinc plate over the side and connect it to the shaft inside. Worked well 'til I got out of there.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
OK, so I did a little bit of research to clear my recollection that it is possible to have too much zinc. And like many questions you can find conflicting answers. One answer is that it is not possible to over-zinc a fiberglass boat but it is very possible to over-zinc a wooden or metal boat.
Another answer is that too much zinc will affect the protection of copper-loaded bottom paints. This may be evidenced by a discolored ring around thru-hulls. This was the damage from over-zinc-ing that I remembered.
So read for yourself and pick the answer you want to believe:

Sep 25, 2008
Not disagreeing that the increased surface are will increase the potential, but how does it make the problem worse ?

I remember years ago being moored in a marina which doubled as a boat graveyard and in order to increase the short life expectancy of the two shaft zincs, I used to hang a 12" X12" zinc plate over the side and connect it to the shaft inside. Worked well 'til I got out of there.
Opinions vary but my understanding is simply that more anode can creates higher potential - the greater the V potential, the greater the rate of electrolysis. Unfortunately, the converse (less anode decreasing potential) isn't true except in a boat with zero voltage to ground initially - some voltage delta will always exist. Only after minimizing it should anodes be used sacrificially.
That advice is worth what you paid for it:cool:

• Helpful
Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Everything electrical on my boat is new. Is there any design no no's I should double check, or is it more likely it's from another boat?

Sep 25, 2008
Everything electrical on my boat is new. Is there any design no no's I should double check, or is it more likely it's from another boat?
Could be a nearby boat, could be the marina wiring or could be something that is leaking (electrically) in your boat. I’d start with the bilge pump wiring and eliminate multiple ground points.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Opinions vary but my understanding is simply that more anode can creates higher potential - the greater the V potential, the greater the rate of electrolysis. Unfortunately, the converse (less anode decreasing potential) isn't true except in a boat with zero voltage to ground initially - some voltage delta will always exist. Only after minimizing it should anodes be used sacrificially.
That advice is worth what you paid for it:cool:
Voltage is determined only by the metals used, not the quantity. It may be possible to over-zinc and induce too much current, like some of Rich’s sources suggest, but I’ve seen two zincs used on a shaft without issue, so I suspect any over-zinc threshold is more than that. Using twice the mass of zinc should extend the protection for longer, but I agree with you and the other comments that two months is too fast to be going through a zinc, so that deserves attention.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Is there a way to test if the leak is from my boat or another boat, before I start tearing through my whole electrical system?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a problem on my boat, too. My Max-Prop tailcone zinc disappears in one season, along with most of two zincs on the prop shaft.

I'm at a mooring, i.e., not plugged into shore power. I have an inverter that's used often.

One thing that troubles me is that the boat's bonding system is connected to the DC ground inside the boat, so if my understanding is correct, I have more than one electrical path to the water, i.e., the keel and the prop.

I probably should get the electrode @jssailem recommends:

Here is one idea that might address your question...
Also, some general guidance one what should be connected to what, for "bonding system," DC ground, and AC ground.

By "bonding system" I refer to the connection of key structural elements of the boat with large-gauge bare copper wire: mast, keel, chain plates, etc.:

Screenshot from 2020-08-12 10-58-46.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can test each of your metal systems with the "electrode" to identify (if) you have an electrical leak.
I call it low tech design (basic chemistry) - High Tech efficiency (quick way to identify which of the usual suspects is at fault).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You can test each of your metal systems with the "electrode" to identify (if) you have an electrical leak.
I call it low tech design (basic chemistry) - High Tech efficiency (quick way to identify which of the usual suspects is at fault).
So, their user guide is not online; what would the strategy be, if you find a "leak:" start disconnecting things and note the change?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
p.s. I just ordered the reference electrode and a couple more Max-Prop zincs. They are only a couple of towns over from me, I should have the stuff before the weekend.