dinghy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mare

Apr 16, 2012
Bavaria 36 Point Roberts Washington
We have a 2011 Bavaria 36 cruiser and are having trouble with our dinghy. We have a zodiac cadet (smallest of the zodiac line) but if mounted on the fordeck it interfers with the jib. We would prefer not to tow it and we do not want to loose the use of the drop down stern (swim grid). It is great just to be able to walk off when we are tied up stern first in our slip. We have considered a smaller dinghy but of course this has its own problems. Are there davits designed for the 36 cruiser that still give us the use of the swim gridÉ Does any one have any suggetsions`É
Thanks
David

Eric M

Sep 30, 2008
Island Packet 35 Jacksonville
I suggest you work on solving world peace or hunger, take your pick...it would probably be easier...

Seriously, we have our 11' RIB on davits on our 35' boat and accept that the easier launch / retrieve from the davits, combined with the not having to look at the boat on the deck, or deal with interference with the sails, hatches, etc makes the trade off with limited access to the stern worth it, but our slip does have a nice finger pier so we can get on and off the boat on the side.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
It's always amazing that no wants to deflate these inflatables. I won't own one. Because I know I'd would be one of those who stays up late at night thinking of where and how to stow my inflated dingy.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As you can imagine, this is not a new question. :)

Choices:

--- deflated on the foredeck
--- inflated on the foredeck
--- davits

Each has +s and -s.

Your boat, your choice.

We have a 10'-8" Cadet, and do one or two, don't have davits. Our jib is high off the deck so we don't have your issue.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i ussed to keep my inflated inflatable under my main boom....worked great until i sold the dink...

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
David - it depends on the type of sailing you mostly engage in. We have a Bavaria 40 Ocean with Davits hanging a Zodiac RIB 310 and a 15 hp motor + holds the solar panels up as well. There is still enough room to traverse the stern up and down to the platform when the dingy is lowered. The weight of the combined dingy/motor is a couple of hundred pounds. Lifting and storing on the deck isn't an easy option for us. The davits have been a huge benefit. When we anchor I lower the dingy on 6:1 and 8:1 lifting blocks.

I would love to have an arch as opposed to davits but these work great. With the dingy raised the swim platform is not reachable. with the dingy down access is no problem.

Good luck.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
On Your Dock

Hi Mare,
I moor on the same dock as you at Point Bob. I own an "older" Bav. 36 (2005) and I use davits. It has worked well for us over the years, but our stern is considerably different than yours. I agree that everything you could do has trade offs. For us, only using the stern with the RIB in the water is enough! When docked, we enter via the side. We gained about .5 knot when sailing by not towing the dinghy. On the foredeck, it interferred with the sail too much. Our head sail is much larger than yours (150%) as the boats have very different sail plans.
Hopefully we will meet on the docks one day, and good luck with your decision.:)
Tom

Sep 24, 2009
Bavaria 38 France
Sorry a bit late with this, I pondered about this for some time but finally made a webbing sling from the stern (2 x eyebolts) to a "handy billy" system attached to the back stay, (I am sure I will get some ramarks) But it works.

My wife can now put the motor on from it's location on the rail and the dinghy has 2 positions it can be put in. My wife can do both.

When we are using the dinghy we keep it stored there over night and when anchored.
We sail with it weather permitting.

The photos are of the first prototype so if you want the details for a Bav 38 I can send you some when I get back to the boat.
Odysseus

Attachments

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
That is a brilliant design. I like it. It provides a better angle than running g it from the Arch. My only question would be in rough weather when your bouncing, rocking and rolling does it put any weird weird oscillation into the backstay or is t secure enough with the one strap down the middle? You've. Eem cruising for a while and probably have t worked out - i just know our RIB hanging from the davits is sometime tough to corral tightly when its rock and roll time.

Looks great - so does your boat.

Sep 24, 2009
Bavaria 38 France
If you look at the photo attached you will see 2 eye bolts one each side low on the strern, these are the attchements for the webbing, and I made covers for the back stay poiint to stop chafing, I also use bow and stern line to hold the dighy still.
However this is only for use when conditions are right, I would not sail long distance in bad weather with the dinghy there. It is in this position for about 1200 miles each year so it works.

My dighy is 3 mtr a bit of a lump, and having put a hatch under the forecabin bunk it goes in there.

Odysseus

Attachments

Apr 5, 2013
Bavaria 34 Brisbane
I have pondered what to do with Dinghy . On my boat I was thinking of carry it on the transom Door lowered if it is not to rough.

On your boat you have the helm off while in port , how does the helm un do . I know there is knob but it looks like the helm on mine has spline shaft -regards Rob

Sep 24, 2009
Bavaria 38 France
wheel

I have pondered what to do with Dinghy . On my boat I was thinking of carry it on the transom Door lowered if it is not to rough.

On your boat you have the helm off while in port , how does the helm un do . I know there is knob but it looks like the helm on mine has spline shaft -regards Rob
The wheel has a woodruf keyway and taper, so all you need to do is pull and at the same time rattle the wheel each side.

Hope this helps.

Odysseus

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
when in port i try to keep my boat in escape condition, just in case i need to flee some nature created something....i keep the wheel clear and i keep the sails available and rigged to run, even when engine not in order...have to be able to flee...

Status
Not open for further replies.