• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

difficult to engage in forward when cold

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
did as he suggested and adjusted the idle to 950 RPM. The engine vibrated excessively, to the point the brackets on the heat exchanger broke. I readjusted the idle to 1250 RPM, and the engine idles smoothly, and shifts well, with no issues in 1,700 hours.
I think the fact that the M25-XPB is a three cylinder engine has something to do with the idle needing to be higher than other engines.
Might need to adjust the valves? or possibly check the injectors? it really shouldn't shake as you describe around 1000. are your engine mounts shot? i know mine are and am replacing them this winter with OEM mounts..

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Might need to adjust the valves? or possibly check the injectors? it really shouldn't shake as you describe around 1000. are your engine mounts shot? i know mine are and am replacing them this winter with OEM mounts..
Not at all. Engine is fine, mounts are good. As I have tried to point out, the Universal manual specifies that idle RPM should be 1250 RPM, and this works fine on my engine.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The RPM's on the tachometer on each boat differs alot.
Years ago, I discovered this deference when I was an adventurist.....You use the altenator and a external tach to adjust a more accurte RPM on the boat's tach, one that I could see and verify my self.
My original Hurth 50 trans which came with the boat was rebuilt 2 months ago by Mike Vote and his top drawer trans group....thanks Mike. I took the boat out and did my usual routine and let warm up than took it thru some maneuvers, such that when I got back to the dock, people came up to me and said what was that all about.
Any way no problems.....but I did not take the boat out with new tran and increase the rpm to 2400 when trans was cold, to see what would happen.
Mabe next week :clap:

I agree that the tach might not always be accurate. I have checked my RPM's with a hand held tach and calibrated the boat's tach accordingly.
paulj :hook2:

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Never had any problem with mine, always run it below 1500 for 5-10 min before increasing to cruising speed.
Always have it in reverse when sailing.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
I just realized I never updated post #12 about the sudden engine shutdown with no restart. I took the injector pump off (really easy) and had a local industrial diesel shop check it. When I told him what the engine make/model was, and the Kubota equivalent, he said he gets one of them every month or so, very familiar. He found a broken spring inside, and the cost to rebuild it with new parts and seals as needed was about $500, just took a few days. MUCH cheaper than he $1500 I was quoted for a rebuilt pump by the Universal dealer. I reinstalled the pump, which is also easy, no pump timing issues, a quick bleed and it lit off immediately. It now fires quicker than it ever has since I've owned the boat. The only small complication: the pump had leaked fuel into the crankcase, and mixed with the oil it had left a grey, gummy varnish on everything. I talked to the diesel shop and was told that was not unusual for fuel contamination in the oil. They recommended get it up to operating temp a few times, change the oil and check it again. If it doesn't clear up use a motor flush product carefully, but mine cleaned up fine after several runs and an oil change.
Gotta like the easy engine access on a 310!!