boat stuff

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Never had any problem with mine, always run it below 1500 for 5-10 min before increasing to cruising speed.
Always have it in reverse when sailing.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
I just realized I never updated post #12 about the sudden engine shutdown with no restart. I took the injector pump off (really easy) and had a local industrial diesel shop check it. When I told him what the engine make/model was, and the Kubota equivalent, he said he gets one of them every month or so, very familiar. He found a broken spring inside, and the cost to rebuild it with new parts and seals as needed was about $500, just took a few days. MUCH cheaper than he $1500 I was quoted for a rebuilt pump by the Universal dealer. I reinstalled the pump, which is also easy, no pump timing issues, a quick bleed and it lit off immediately. It now fires quicker than it ever has since I've owned the boat. The only small complication: the pump had leaked fuel into the crankcase, and mixed with the oil it had left a grey, gummy varnish on everything. I talked to the diesel shop and was told that was not unusual for fuel contamination in the oil. They recommended get it up to operating temp a few times, change the oil and check it again. If it doesn't clear up use a motor flush product carefully, but mine cleaned up fine after several runs and an oil change.
Gotta like the easy engine access on a 310!!