diesel smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2005
- - miami
Looking at A 1990 Catalina there is a smell of Diesel below in the galley . What should i look for that might be the problem. Might it be a bad hose or a seal on the fuel filter. Any help would be good help. Suds

Sep 24, 2005
Catalina 30 Punta Gorda, Florida
The owner should explain and you have a right to know. Perhaps the filters were recently serviced and the lines blead. In that case there could be a smell of diesel if it wasn't cleaned up properly. Otherwise you may have a leak. If I were selling a boat It would not have that smell to start with. Not the best of signs. jr

J

John

A possibliity

My 1977 Cat 39 with a YSB12 had been on the hard for 2 yrs prior to my purchasing it. It had diesel smell, especially in the cushions. I cleaned the cushions but the smell still existed in the cabin. I eventualy found that the PO had used a standard auto heater hose for the fuel tank vent line. The fuel sits in the overflow/vent line for at least 6" from the tank. When the tank is full, The stagnent fuel was deteriorating the vent hose and the outer covering was absorbong the fuel and thus the smell. It was like having a glade air freshner filled with diesel oil. Very effective order producer. So, I replaced the hose with a good quality fuel approved hose. The smell disappeared. Check yours out. Good luck. John

Status
Not open for further replies.