Depth sounder replacement

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
I purchased a 87 C22 a few weeks ago and it has an old 2" depth sounder and Raymarine ST40 next to the companionway doors. Both units aren't working and don't look they can be salvaged. Since I'm basically starting from scratch here, I am interested in what others would do for in this case. Part of me wants to replace the old units because they are already cut into the wall and having broken instruments is pretty ugly but spending $100-$150 on old technology doesn't like it makes much sense. I can get a basic fish finder with GPS for $200. Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions others may have. My main priority is just depth measurement and anything else is just an added bonus. Thanks

Attachments

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
thats what I did on my boat, just got a fish finder/chartplotter combo

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Which one did you get, Fred? Are you happy with it? What would you do with the broken gages? Thanks

Aug 17, 2013
I got a lowrance hook 4, just tried it this weekend and so far I like it a lot, I got it to replace a hummingbird

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
This is a Garmin 73dv. It's last year's model, not the one with "chirp" technology. It was on clearance at Bass Pro a few weeks ago for $400. It's installed on a swing out arm like used for a small TV. The transducer is mounted on the bottom of the transom.
Still might be some on the shelves somewhere.
You can see the arm in one photo and the transducer just center of the ladder on the other photo.
image.png
image.jpeg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There have not been many technological advances in depth sounding equipment. While a fish finder/GPS combo sounds practical should the unit fail both depth sounding and position awareness could be jeopardized. One of the functions of a depth sounder is to confirm position by matching depths indicated on a chart. If it were me I would replace the 2" depth sounder with another one like the HawkEye and get a separate GPS unit.

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
There have not been many technological advances in depth sounding equipment. While a fish finder/GPS combo sounds practical should the unit fail both depth sounding and position awareness could be jeopardized. One of the functions of a depth sounder is to confirm position by matching depths indicated on a chart. If it were me I would replace the 2" depth sounder with another one like the HawkEye and get a separate GPS unit.
Benny has a good point. A chart is the FIRST and primary form of navigation. As many books say, learn to do without the GPS, I can and have....I just don't want to. ...
On the other hand, I've landed many aircraft in instrument conditions solely based on the information from the Garmin' s brother on the aviation side. It has a pretty good track record.
I like the combined unit. It's practical, easy to use, integrates the charted depth with the detected depths, and gives me less to deal with.
If it goes out I still have my eyes, ears, and brain to help me figure out where I am..

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Humminbird dash mount with thru hull shooter glue in puck transducer. About 109 bucks with free shipping from Overtons , easy peezy install, using piece of toilet was up near the forward storage in the v berth directly on inside of hull.
New depthfinder cover (1).jpg

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Has anyone used an IPhone/Ipad app? I was at West Marine recently and a clerk told me he was using something from I think it was Navionics. The price was certainly right, I just wonder about the reliability, functions and such.

Aug 17, 2013
the navionics app is great, only downside is the contrast on an iPhone and iPad, when it's sunny it's hard to read and you need a plug nearby to charge the unit
but the app is great

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
the avionics app is great, only downside is the contrast on an iPhone and iPad, when it's sunny it's hard to read and you need a plug nearby to charge the unit
but the app is great
does it have any kind of alarm?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Jack tar,
I like that cover. Where did you get it?
I have the same Hummingbird depth finder and wish I had put a cover on it. After 4 years the lens is starting to cloud over.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
the navionics app is great, only downside is the contrast on an iPhone and iPad, when it's sunny it's hard to read and you need a plug nearby to charge the unit
but the app is great
Still waiting for an Android tablet with Color E-ink.