Depth Finder Question

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
Our boat came with a glue-in Hawk eye Depth finder. I have yet to see it display anything but " - - - ". I have been doing a lot reading on the web and in their manual to troubleshoot. Specifically in their manual it says that a "really soft bottom" could be an issue. It was also mentioned to me that in the Pamlico River and sound that depth finders have issues with accuracy and to pay attention to my charts. Can anyone corroborate that mudddy/sandy bottoms are an issue with this type of transducer before I decide to troubleshoot and re-install it? I get the physics of sonar and that a soft target may cause issues, but I am still new and I guess I just assumed that since sandy bottoms are the best type of anchorage locations, this wouldn't be an issue for a typical depth finder.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
How well "glued" is the transducer?
I mean... it's not loose or anything. I have no way of knowing if the PO did it correctly or not, but I have no reason to think otherwise. I just don't want to do all this work to find out it's not going to work in these bottom conditions regardless.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Without a doubt, the simplest device you will deal with on a boat. Not denying that the electronics are a marvel, but the installation requires only a Grade four reform school education. However, few if any of the manufacturers seem to supply instructions for testing the installation location.

If you understand the basic physics of sonar, this will make sense. Air bubbles are the killer. See #7.

Depth transducer

Bust off the old sensor and install in a big, bubble free puddle of silicone sealant.

As far as the the soft bottom causing the "no responce" problem ............ doubtful. Somewhere there will be something solid to ping off.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Is it a dual frequency sounder? If so try setting it to 77 kHz, My Garmin does not work well in shallow water at 200 kHz

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Just installed a Hawkeye, mounted the transducer in the port v berth. So far so good in the Middle River, Pooles Island area. Sanded area with 60 grit and used Plumbers putty. This way you can move it around to get a good return. After sanding cleaned with rubbing alcohol. NO bubbles!

Aug 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Manahawkin
I'd like to jump on here as well, with the same type question. I have a Hawkeye depth finder too. It worked when I first got the boat 7 years ago. Since then it has stopped working, just showing the "- - -" when turned on. I bought a new one. When I went to install the new one I got the same reading. When I hang the transducer over the edge of the boat in the water they both (old and new) give me a reading. When I put the transducer in a bag of water and put it in the front storage compartment under the v berth, they work as well. It's when I take it out of water and try to install it dry, I get the dash reading. I'm stumped. Any advise?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
My boat came with a water chamber the PO had made from 4 inch PVC, glued to the hull and filled with water. Worked great.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My boat came with a water chamber the PO had made from 4 inch PVC, glued to the hull and filled with water. Worked great.
Did almost the same on my old Mac25, but used a couple of toilet wax rings kneaded into a blob.

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Plumber's putty worked good for me. You can move it around and it's clean to work with. No bubbles please. Good luck!

Aug 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Manahawkin
I had originally tried to fix it to the hull with silicone, but got no readings. I’ll experiment with the last couple of suggestions (plumbers putty or wax ring). Maybe a water chamber is the answer. I considered something like that but couldn’t think of anything to use except tupperware. Thanks everyone.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I had originally tried to fix it to the hull with silicone, but got no readings
Next time, cut a large hole in the spout of the silicone tube and then hold the tip close to the floor. Squeeze out a continuous, deep puddle of silicone without moving the nozzle, ensuring there are no bubbles in the puddle. Gently press the sensor into the puddle. It's air bubbles that destroy the acoustic signal.

Aug 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Manahawkin
Next time, cut a large hole in the spout of the silicone tube and then hold the tip close to the floor. Squeeze out a continuous, deep puddle of silicone without moving the nozzle, ensuring there are no bubbles in the puddle. Gently press the sensor into the puddle. It's air bubbles that destroy the acoustic signal.
Ok. Sounds good. Thank you very much.

Dec 1, 2018
Catalina 22 NJ , PA
I use the water chamber method. I used silicone to attach and seal a 4" piece of pvc to the hull. have not had to ad water yet this season. works great.