Dehumidifiers

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
We are looking for suggestions on a dehumidifier for our Hunter 420 passage that is small and effective.
Mainly for when connected to shore power at the marina.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i use one of these.
Link
and drill a hole and tap in a valve so it can drain directly into the sink.

it really only works well when the boat is buttoned up and all ports shut.. any air getting in and it will never keep up.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Assuming it's going to be locaed on or adjacent to a sink for drainage, the location is pretty much the only consideration when choosing size or type. To state the obvious, they all do the same thing the same way

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I placed one of these on my boat. Connected the hose to a thru hull and it has worked great.

Model # DH50K1W
Hisense 50-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier ENERGY STAR

• 50-pint, 2-speed dehumidifier removes excess air moisture for a more comfortable home environment
  • Electronic controls make it easy to adjust humidity levels, select from one of 3 modes and set the 24-hour on/off timer
  • Drain hose connection lets you divert condensed water directly to the drain, so you don’t have to empty the bucket (hose sold separately)
  • High-performance centrifugal fan operates at 46 dBA on low for quiet operation
  • Washable filter reduces bacteria, odors and particles from your space, and the Clean Filter indicator light lets you know when the filter is dirty
  • Full-tank indicator light lets you know when the tank needs to be emptied, and the unit automatically shuts off when water tank is full for added convenience
  • Low temperature setting means the unit can operate at temperatures as low as 38°F
  • ENERGY STAR® certified product helps you save money on utility bills without sacrificing performance, style or comfort
  • 2-year limited warranty gives you peace of mind
1583944539372.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
The thru hull drains over the side. Has a quick connect to the hose. And has a screw on cap to limit water entry when the unit is disconnected.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Low temperature setting means the unit can operate at temperatures as low as 38°F
John, this spec is key for pretty much any boat and particularly for those living on the NA Pacific coast. Fortunately my boat is currently bone dry and I am able to get by with a small Eva-Dry dehumidifier employing the very inefficient Peltier technology. It has an effectiveness of 8 oz. of moisture per day at 86° F and 80% RH. I think I may get a cup a week if that at 60° F and 60% RH.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
There are three technologies:
  • Compressor type (like JS mentioned). High capacity, but most shut-off below 45-50F, so not great for the cool season. Also big. Overkill for storage, but nice if you are on the boat, though heat or AC will generally do the job then, unless you are PNW!
  • Peltier type (like BillyK mentioned). Very low capacity, but enough if the boat is fairly dry and buttoned up. They will build frost on clod days, but will melt during the day, when the green house effect warms the cabin. A timer helps (off during the afternoon). Low enough draw to run off solar, but not enough capacity to help if you are on the boat, adding humidity. Just for when you are away.
  • Adsorbant type. More popular in the UK, these work in clod weather and are higher capacity than the Peltier type.
I used a Peltier type on a cruising cat for years and it really kept the boat dry, but it was a very dry boat. I use one on my F-24, which is not a dry boat.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
What's the climate? The best dehumidifier in cold, damp climates is a heater. In hot, humid climates it's an A/C. In my experience, the "dehumidifiers" that draw moisture out of the air don't do much.

Oct 22, 2014
"dehumidifiers" that draw moisture out of the air don't do much.
It is an interesting observation.
With my cabin closed up and no machine, I get humidity readings in the 60-70% range. When I turn on the machine, and leave it running for a few hours the reading drops to about 48%, the auto setting. Not only does the machine show a trickle of water running out of the boat, but it circulates the air in the boat improving the function. Is it perfect, of course not. We all know that a boat is not a moisture tight space. Does it reduce the opportunity for mold and mildew to form in the boat? In my experience yes. Does it cost something for this function? Yes. The charge for running the electrical appliance. What is it worth to step into your boat and not smell moldy damp air? Priceless.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I never had any luck with the dehumidifiers. Seems like they only lasted one year. After replacing 3 or 4 I now just put my main A/C unit on dehumidify setting. I also tried the desiccant bags and they did not do much. Still got some mold. I am Florida this is pretty much worst conditions.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm curious about the bad experiences.

• I've never had a dehumidifier last less than 5 years. I wonder if it was running full time and was just too hot. I can see that in Florida.
  • I've never had one not drop the RH at least 30%. Perhaps the bilge is wet or a vent is open (if you are going to dehumidify the boat you need to button it up). They are not going to stop established mold; you have to get the boat clean first.
It is most efficient to have them run at night (cooler and more humid). You can put them on a photo cell.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I live in SF Bay so cold and damp in the winter and I get mildew inside the boat. I installed a solar vent and bought a typical dehumidifier and ran it continuously draining into galley sink while boat is in slip. I did not notice any improvement. I bought a small electric space heater and WHAMMO!!. My boat was dry and comfy and mildew free. I really don't need it in the summer but I use it anyway.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I use one of the portable Ones mentioned above but can’t remember the name I have and many friends use one here in Florida and also when leaving boat in July and August uncover all the windows to let light in really has helped make mold go away.
Nick

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
For the lake I had problems with my old O'Day 25 and tried dehumidifier and it didn't help. I tried running a heater too but the shore power connection was iffy and always tripping on the dock. This winter my new 310 is at a different marina with some liveaboards and proper shore power setup so I ran a small space heater all winter. No moisture inside, warm and dry boat every time I come out, and no bad smells or mold anywhere. The longest I left the boat without a check was 6 weeks and when I came back power was still on and heater still running just fine. Love the new slip for sure.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Our club has rules against leaving heaters going unattended. Not only do they use a lot of electricity we all have to pay for out of the budget, they can be a fire hazard.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks @Justin_NSA good article to read and review. So I wasn't advocating for heater vs proper winterizing and I asked at my marine if it was ok and the answer was sure. My heater is a new one with tip over protection, connected to my AC power inside the cabin. My AC power is factory installed and inspections have noted no issues. I do agree that I won't not leave the heater running for months in a cold climate to protect against freezing temps.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is an interesting observation.
With my cabin closed up and no machine, I get humidity readings in the 60-70% range. When I turn on the machine, and leave it running for a few hours the reading drops to about 48%, the auto setting. Not only does the machine show a trickle of water running out of the boat, but it circulates the air in the boat improving the function. Is it perfect, of course not. We all know that a boat is not a moisture tight space. Does it reduce the opportunity for mold and mildew to form in the boat? In my experience yes. Does it cost something for this function? Yes. The charge for running the electrical appliance. What is it worth to step into your boat and not smell moldy damp air? Priceless.
I concur with your observations, these dehumidifiers do work. Space Heaters can be a fire hazard when left unattended.

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
Thanks for all of the advice.
I would like to get some different makes and models people are using so I can source one.

Oct 22, 2014
@Stephen M
Did this post help?