Deep water anchorages

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Do you ride the shores of lake Minnetonka in your Minne Cooper listening to Minne Pearl singing "Minne the Moocher"?
There was a Mini Cooper around that had the custom plate SOTA, I thought that was kind of funny.

And there's some great sailing on Lake Minnetonka! "Minne" is the Dakota word for water. "Tonka" means big or great, so Minnetonka is big water (it is kind of big). Minnesota means blue water. Minnehaha means a very watery waterfall.

Sorry for off-topic

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
See the thread here @SBO on “Dangers of Breath-Hold Diving” from April of 2016.

I remember reading that thread. I was absolutely astonished at how many people were so terrified of free diving. But there were so many people with such strong opinions, I just kept mine to myself.

I just tucked it away as another one of those little things that might be turned into a little pocket money or a bottle of rum here and there. ;)

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Well our trip to Catalina was amazing and we never needed the extra rode I added which was a relief because I was not looking forward to anchoring in anything deeper than I could free dive . So far my all time favorite place to anchor there is Little harbor on the west side.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Well our trip to Catalina was amazing and we never needed the extra rode I added which was a relief because I was not looking forward to anchoring in anything deeper than I could free dive . So far my all time favorite place to anchor there is Little harbor on the west side.
Isn't that a bit exposed to the prevailing west winds and waves? Could you quickly tuck up to Cat Harbor if you needed more protection?

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Minniesail, Yes in fact the harbor patrol came around and warned everyone on the east side to leave so we went around to cat harbor and the wind event didn't happen.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You have the north coast of Catalina, and the south coast of Catalina (aka "the back side"). Northeast end is Avalon; northwest "end" is Two Harbors. Southwest coast is Cat Harbor; with Little Harbor about 5 n.mi. ESE of Cat Harbor. Glad you had a nice trip!:dancing:

Last edited: