Dating a Catalina

Degs

Jan 15, 2021
Catalina 22 Liverpool
Can any one tell me how to date my Catalina 22/Jaguar, I pressume it was made in the UK as thats where it is based. There is no ID on the stern and no ID plates inside. The mast mount on the cabin top has a hole in the middle and looks like it took a round mast, a water tank on stb side rear of cockpit, a table leg looking mast surport and a sea toilet on port side fwd of the bulkhead by the mast surrport. There is no hole in the keel for the locking bolt and no evidence in the fiber glass inside where you would expect a hole to be. One other thing which might help is on the stb side where the locker is under the cockpit seat there is a fiberglass rectangular sink complete with tap and drain, the whole thing slides on 2 guide rails into the locker.
Sorry I can,t be more specific but when I was given the boat all that was left was a rotten rudder and the cabin sliding hatch due to her being vandalised and unloved for 3 years but I will bring her back up to spec.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Finding the hull identification number (HIN) indicates its production date. The original post posed the question of where to find the HIN on his Catalina 22 in this thread.

• Helpful
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Sometimes it is hard to see, done by a drunk with a dremel usually and if hull has been painted may be obscured somewhat. Mine is up close to the rub rail and hard to see unless you brush it with a sharpie or something to make it more visible.
HIN on stern (3).jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sometimes it is hard to see, done by a drunk with a dremel usually and if hull has been painted may be obscured somewhat. Mine is up close to the rub rail and hard to see unless you brush it with a sharpie or something to make it more visible.
Yours looks like a Disney World billboard compared to mine!

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Welcome mate ! Some photos to go with your description might help. The Jaguar was produced in the UK and has popped up in several countries such as Sth. Africa. Now to the major question at hand... given your listed home port, just one question which might just affect further comment :cool: - RED or Blue ? Hint : Red/Anfield might be a good answer :dancing:. But back to sailing, pictures or cabin and foredeck, mast base, and interior. Just by your description, this is almost certainly the equivalent to a Mk1 Catalina, produced prior to 1984/85 (the sliding galley is a give-away, as would be the location of the forward hatch and absence of an anchor locker, all of which changed with the Mark 2 or 'new style' in the mid-80's. But again, the Jaguar molds may have been used longer in the UK.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Finding the hull identification number (HIN) indicates its production date. The original post posed the question of where to find the HIN on
I think hull ID numbers weren't required on boats built in the UK until 1998. Thus the OP's questions about dating it based on physicl features (much like many guys do when dating in general).

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
I think hull ID numbers weren't required on boats built in the UK until 1998. Thus the OP's questions about dating it based on physicl features (much like many guys do when dating in general).
Although to be honest, waking up next morning with a yacht (sailboat) usually has the same amorous feelings of love and contentment, if not more (depending on the view out the companionway hatch). Not really any such thing as a coyote ugly sailboat !! Although a little cosmetic surgery (for the boat) is always something to consider... :)

Mar 14, 2016
jaguar 22 Vinkeveen
Your description fits my Jaguar 22 which was build in 1977. Build in Britten, now sailing in Holland.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I’m curious. Where was the Jaguar 22 built in Britain and were some of the other Catalina models built there too?

Mar 14, 2016
jaguar 22 Vinkeveen
In Holland we see a lot of Jaguars 22, 25, 27 and 30. All made in England. In England they made more models, under licence of the american designer.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Thanks for that information. On a recent visit to the UK I came across a very well maintained Catalina Capri 16 and had wondered if it was made locally!
I understand that the Catalina 22 was also previously made in Canada, but have not yet been able to determine exactly where it was made here!