Daisychaining a light for the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linda

Has anyone daisychained a light for the head off the main cabin light? I've looked through the modification pages but it seems everyone is opting to put in a round light on the round, black plexiglass piece rather than a rectangular light on the alreaded molded area that has the screws to the winch. Is this because it's difficult to get a wire that goes from the cabin light to the head? Any help, comments would be helpful. Linda

K

Kevin Barry

Head Light

Hi Linda, I put a pedastal light, swivel base flush mount type, in the head over the sink. The wiring was pretty tricky but not impossible. I used coat hangers to thread the wire up into the area behind the round plexiglass panel. I had to run the wire from the fuse box on the port side all the way aft, across the boat to the starboard side, up the starboard side to the head. I tucked the wire up under the deck liner as I went and then behind the "decorative" panel aft. The hardest part was threading the wire from the rear birth starboard side up into the head. I first had to snake it into the head by running a coat hanger from the head into the aft birth under the deck liner. Once I got it into the head I used the coat hanger again to snake it up to the space behind the plexiglass panel. This whole project included a light in the overhead area of the port side aft birth, another in the starboard side aft birth and then the final one in the head. I suppose you could try a more direct route from the light over the dinette, but I couldn't figure out how to access this one very easily. Good luck and happy wiring! Kevin Newmarket NH

F

Flip

Running wire

Tie fishing line to a 5/16 washer. Drag the washer anywhere you want with a strong magnet. Use the line to pull your wire. I have run antenna, speaker and electrical wires all over the boat like this. A few tight spots require some hard pulling but it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.