custom mast crutch question

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Just bought a 1986 C22 and have had it in the water a couple of times already. Put it away for the winter on Saturday. :-(

I have an old, metal mast crutch that I am going to modify this winter and could use some suggestions as to it's height when fully extended. My existing steel crutch is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter with welded pintles and a welded crutch piece on the top. The current top piece is sharp, too narrow, and does not have a roller nor room for a roller. I am going to cut off the top piece and replace it with a custom extension piece that has a roller.

I am NOT using the crutch to transport the boat, just to help get the mast up and down. My wife provides good help so I'm not going solo, and I don't plan on using a gin pole. We put the mast up and down while the boat is on the trailer, never while on the water, and we don't have to hurry.

What I am going to do is build a sliding crutch extension with a roller at the top and handles on the bottom that can fit over the existing pole (once I remove the crutch at the top). It will be able to slide up and down as an extension and, when pinned in place in the raised position, I can use it to get the mast up farther before we pull it up from the front of the boat using a long line.

My question is......how tall would you make the overall crutch (when extended) to make it as easy as possible to get the mast up and down? The CD mast stepper claims to extend 9 1/2' high (I assume from the base pintle?). For you experienced people, does that seem high enough, too high, too short???? I welcome and thank you for all your suggestions before I start cutting and welding away!!!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
In my opinion, 9.5' is way longer than necessary or ideal. Like three feet longer. My previous mast crutch (before I got a Ruddercraft rudder, and was forced to buy their proprietary crutch) was only 6' 3" overall, and I loved it. It got the mast plenty high while still being compact enough to store inside the vehicle.

(Nothing wrong with Ruddercraft's crutch BTW, except having to spend the money on it when I already had a crutch I liked.)

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I assume that the 6'-3" is measured more or less from the bottom rudder pin to the top of the roller? Thanks.....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nope, it's 6' 3" length overall. From the lower gudgeon to the top of the roller would be about 5' 7" with the crutch in the "up" position. Here's one more pic that completes the measurement puzzle:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
After 20 years I now use two crutches. The conventional one at the stern just high enough for the mast to clear the sliding hatch, makes it easy to insert the mast and move the mast backwards to attach to the mast step and yes it has a roller. The second crutch sets in the companion way and leans against the sliding hatch, it is just the right height for me to lift the mast up from the stern crutch and walk it forward and set into the crutch in the companion way. This is just the right height before all of the stays become caught on something.
At this point I can take my time to check all the stays from becoming entangled with something on the cabin top and the backstay to hook the engine, rudder or something in the cockpit. I then climb onto the cabin top for the final lift of the mast to vertical.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
My 1975 C-22 stays in the water all of the time. I need to lay the mast down to replace a light bulb and install a Davis Windex. What type of prop do I need? The "plan" is to lay the mast down so that I can work off of the dock.