Cushion modification

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
I just bought a 1986 Catalina 22 and there has been a stove added to the boat. It was installed on the starboard bench. As a result, the quarter berth cushions now have overlap and I would like to fix this. The cushions appear to be original and are in like-new condition so I am reluctant to permanently alter them. I am considering 2 options, finding another original cushion to alter, or making one myself. How hard would it be to find a single original cushion to modify? If I go the custom home made route, where can I source the original cloth material to match my near-mint cabin?

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What is currently to the left (towards the bow) of the added stove ?

That area is where the 2 burmer stove that originally came with the boat was located.

I wonder why the previous owner didnt modify that section and put the new stove there. Hmm.

I modified my existing stove area by rotating the original stove 90 degrees so that the burners sat fore and aft like your modified stove. This increased storage and improved stove use, while only losing about 6 inches of the starboard berth cushion. (Still lots of.room to sleep)

I permanently altered my cushion.

User @watercolors II posted these photos and i blatantly stole the idea, along with a few of my own changes.

Last edited:

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
What is currently to the left (towards the bow) of the added stove ?
There is basically nothing there. I bought the boat with a sailing partner and he doesn't seem very concerned over the issue that I see with this because he has no interest in overnighting on the boat. My wife and kids want to spend some weekends on it so I would like a workable solution. I may decide to alter the cushion but will of course have to check with the co-owner first.

Could you possibly post a picture of how you modified your cushion? If it's not too much trouble of course.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I just edited my post above with links to the design I used.

Not a simple modification though. Required woodworking skill.

The cushion was simply shortened while retaining the original look. Unfortunately it is permanent.

I can take photos of my actual setup including the cushion in the morning.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Is that new stove section attached ? Or just sitting there. It looks like the cushion has already been shortened ?

I am working on the boat tomorrow before i haul it to the marina.. and can take a quick video.

Or maybe PM me and we can do a live video call tomorrow aka june 30 ? Might be easier.for questions.

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
The stove is attached to some degree. There is some sort of sealant that was used to bond it in place. I don't know how permanent it is. The cushion isn't shortened. It is just overlapping the other, larger cushion that is at the back of the quarter berth. My main interest is in how you modified the cushion so that it still includes the piping at the edge. Does it still appear to be original? I guess that a video detailing how you cut and restitched the material would be most helpful. Unfortunately, I will not be available for live Q&A.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Your boat has a BEAUTIFUL interior. Congratulations!!

I'd get rid of that monstrous Frankenstove, and keep the cushions intact.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Your boat has a BEAUTIFUL interior. Congratulations!!

I'd get rid of that monstrous Frankenstove, and keep the cushions intact.
+1....best interior I've seen, yea, get rid of the stove, go with Gene's Iwatani single burner butane down below and add a Magma on the rail....all you'll ever need....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It is just overlapping the other, larger cushion that is at the back of the quarter berth.
Ahh. Ok gotcha. The AFT section of the cushion is overlapping the rear cushion.
That explains the part i was thinking a video chat would help explain.:waycool: I wasn't seeing that in the photos on my phone.

I agree with @rpludwig i would probably get rid of the stove and get a small stove like @Gene Neill has. If i remember correctly he has it in the original location.
That way you can keep the original cushion unchanged.

We find that we RARELY use the stove inside. Mainly for boiling water or heating the cabin. (My modifications were meant to increase storage not so much improve the use of the interior stove)

We use a kuuma propane stove mounted on the cockpit rail for actual cooking. Much more comfortable to cook in the cockpit and it prevents heat buildup in the cabin.

I will post a video of my modified cushion later today.

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
Ahh. Ok gotcha. The AFT section of the cushion is overlapping the rear cushion.
That explains the part i was thinking a video chat would help explain.:waycool: I wasn't seeing that in the photos on my phone.

I agree with @rpludwig i would probably get rid of the stove and get a small stove like @Gene Neill has. If i remember correctly he has it in the original location.
That way you can keep the original cushion unchanged.

We find that we RARELY use the stove inside. Mainly for boiling water or heating the cabin. (My modifications were meant to increase storage not so much improve the use of the interior stove)

We use a kuuma propane stove mounted on the cockpit rail for actual cooking. Much more comfortable to cook in the cockpit and it prevents heat buildup in the cabin.

I will post a video of my modified cushion later today.
Thanks for your willingness to help. The more I think about it, the more I think that the idea of removing that huge stove and getting something that fits in the stock location makes more sense. I won't be modding any cushions so you can save yourself the time and not bother with doing the video. I'll be discussing returning the cabin to stock with my co-owner. I'm sure that he will go for this idea because he has already made it clear that he is only interested in day sailing and will likely never cook on the boat anyway.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm sure that he will go for this idea because he has already made it clear that he is only interested in day sailing and will likely never cook on the boat anyway
Yup. And removing that big stove will increase space, which is good for day sailing too.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here is a link to @Gene Neill post about the butane stove he uses with a photo of it in place.

Portable, cheap and but uses expensive butane. (heavier than air fuel so, like propane, has a risk of gas build-up in the boat if it leaks)

That big 3 burner unit may fetch a good price on the used market and pay for the single burner butane unit, and part of a rail mounted cockpit BBQ.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Just in case someone ever does shorten their cushions..

The upholsterer:
  • removed the stitching for the piping and cloth on the verticle edge.
  • Trimmed the top cloth and the foam to length.
  • Reattached the piping and edge cloth, then removed the excess.
Result...It looks original.

20210630_121219.jpg

20210630_121411.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you don't want to permanently modify it, I'd consider removing a strip of foam, folding over the excess fabric and lightly sewing it to stay in place. It's not the most elegant solution but if you want to reverse it you can remove the stitching and put the strip of foam back in place. Some spray glue would keep them aligned while maintaining flexibility

I wouldn't be surprised if an upholstry shop could modify it for less than $100

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
+1....best interior I've seen, yea, get rid of the stove, go with Gene's Iwatani single burner butane down below and add a Magma on the rail....all you'll ever need....
The Magma grill already came with the boat so all I would need is the butane burner.

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
Here is a link to @Gene Neill post about the butane stove he uses with a photo of it in place.

Portable, cheap and uses lighter than air fuel so no risk of gas build-up in the boat.
(Unlike.propane which is heavier than air and can lead to an explosion when used inside a boat if you have an undetected leak)

That big 3 burner unit may fetch a good price on the used market and pay for the single burner butane unit, and part of a rail mounted cockpit BBQ.:biggrin:
Butane is heavier than air actually, and has the same risks as propane on a boat.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Butane is heavier than air actually, and has the same risks as propane on a boat.
Hehe. Yup. 2.08 times heavier than air evidently.. For some reason i got it confused with CNG.

I have often wondered why we use propane in north america. Almost every european boat i have been on had CNG

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My hunch is that the CNG tank size/weight for equivalent BTUs and the extreme lack of infrastructure put CNG out..

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
The Magma grill already came with the boat so all I would need is the butane burner.
We've used the excellent $30 Iwatani burner only a few times since buying it a few yrs ago for the boat, and only then to simply brew a pot of coffee. Any other cooking's been done on the Magma on the rail. (It did come in more useful in the house during the last few hurricane power outages though!)

As other have said, ditch that beast, you'll have some room down below, especially since you mentioned overnighting with bride & kids on board, plus your cushion problem is resolved! JMHO.