Cushion Covers

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I finally finished up the last of the V berth cushion covers I've been working on for the last couple of months. Learning how to do this was not as bad as you might think and I'd encourage any fellow sailors to look into doing it yourself. I was able to re use the original bottom vinyl and zippers for each cushion and that saved a lot of time and money. Next stop: cockpit cushions??

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Nice, with piping no less. What did you use for foam?

Dec 5, 2011
I re used the original foam. Had to wash it out with a mild bleach solution to kill the mildew followed by a lot of wringing and sun drying but there wasn't a piece that was so far gone it couldn't be re used, thank goodness.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Try wrapping them in 1" batting. It will give your cushions that pump professional look at the edges. It adheres to the foam with headliner adhesive. The cushions will slide into the covers much easier. There are some good YouTube videos.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the tip, I went and found some batting at half price the other night. Made some hasty calculations and bought enough to hopefully do every cushion on the boat with enough left over for some cockpit cushions. I found some 3M spray adhesive for about 7 bucks as opposed to the $25 they wanted for the same thing on a sailing supplies web site. I "batted" my first cushion on the top and bottom last night and it made a huge difference. I may be able to sleep on board now without having extra padding under me.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I used neoprene 1.5" thick for the cockpit cushions and covered them in sunbrella sort of a soft type of sunbrella.

In the end they ended up being a comfortable cockpit cushion and work really good as a swim float.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Thanks for the tip, I went and found some batting at half price the other night. Made some hasty calculations and bought enough to hopefully do every cushion on the boat with enough left over for some cockpit cushions. I found some 3M spray adhesive for about 7 bucks as opposed to the $25 they wanted for the same thing on a sailing supplies web site. I "batted" my first cushion on the top and bottom last night and it made a huge difference. I may be able to sleep on board now without having extra padding under me.
Glad it worked out for you. We have a pretty large garment district in Los Angeles. The last time I bought some I bought a huge role, enough for the inside and outside cushions. I was n my wife's Mini Cooper at the time.