Cruising to the Chesapeake

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Ryan

We recently bought a Catalina 27 and would like any comments and advice about cruising from Atlantic City to the Chesapeake Bay for 7 to 10 days. Thanks.

D

dot

cruising world bb

the cruising world list has talked about it a lot. going through the canal to get to the bay seems to the hard part. the link's below.

S

Sean Coerse

Just did it

I just did that trip 3 weeks ago. I delivered my fathers Sabre 34 from CT to MD. We left Atlantic City and sailed to Cape May. Spent the night in a transient slip. Left Cape May through the canal that puts you in the Delaware Bay. It's very short, but time the tide. Sailed up the Delaware to the Cohanse River. Spent the night in the Cohanse then headed through the canal the next day into the Chesapeake. Again time the tide. No problems with ship traffic in either canal. Spent the first night on the Chesapeake in Worton Creek. Great restaurant there. From Atlantic City your looking at 3 easy days each way. If the tides could be timed right you might be able to skip the Cohanse and make the Chesapeke from Cape May. Enjoy the trip. We had a blast and a great day of sailing down the coast from Atlantic City to Cape May. Note if the Delawre Bay can kick up a steep short nasty chop because it is so shallow and runs North South.

Status
Not open for further replies.