Cruising Spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art Golden

I sail a '93-36' and I am considering the purchase (new or used) of a cruising spinnaker. Would like some feedback from fellow 36 owners on size, cost and brand experience.

G

Gary

Spinnaker

I have a 36 tall rig (1986) that I sail on S F Bay. The winds here are pretty good.They almost always blow over 25 knots in the afternoon. Iv flown three different spinnakers this season on three different 36s.I did deck work on two races dipping the pole.The other two boats were cruising spinnakers with socks. the socks make them manageable and with just two persons and an autopilot, it can be controled easily. The safe way is to set a wind speed that you take it down. I take mine down after 20 knots. It makes for a safe sail with my wife.I do get great hull speed when flying it and it is always exciting. You may want to try it on another 36 to see if it is what you want before buying one.Mine came with my boat so I don't know its cost. You should be able to find one around$2000 with a sock........good luck Gary

C

Chris Bloor

Cruising Spinnakers

At the risk of repeating myself, I can't say enough about Atlantic Sail Traders. You'll find them at www.usedsails.com or 800-WIND-800. They have sails of all sizes, conditions and prices. If you can't find one for your boat specifically, call them -- Steve was most helpful to us. They'll tell you the size to look for. I found Bob a symmetrical spinnaker for our C-42 for $1100 and change -- about 1/4 of the cost new. It's in "like new" condition. We paid our sailmaker to remove the old numbers and put ours on, but other than that, we had to do absolutely nothing to it. Good luck and happy sailing! Chris Bloor and Bob Sheppard Great Escape III C-42 #372

Status
Not open for further replies.