Cruising Sail options

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Interested in thoughts and recommendations for replacement sails on the '81 Cat 22. Mostly used for cruising (inland lake currently) and local club racing (usually against much bigger boats). It is the time of year that CD offers discounts (?) on sails for mid-March delivery. 15% off if ordered by 24-Sept.

Has anyone ordered one of the Ullman Offshore sails from CD or elsewhere recently ? Other recommendations for other sailmaker / vendors with reviews and recommendations ?

So, the question is... Loose foot main or bolt rope ? Full batten (my preference) or 2x2 ? Cost is a little more for the full batten / loose foot but this is a purchase that (should) last a while. However, open to thoughts. CFO has approved the purchase, just need to choose wisely.

Cheers !

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice discount, but that time frame seems crazy long. I went with Precision Sail on my O'Day 25 ordered during their black Friday sail and got the sail in Feb.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have "coastal" (5.5oz) Rolly Tasker sails from thesailwarehouse.com. They're almost six years old now, no complaints so far.

Aug 31, 2011
So, to the original question... Loose foot or Bolt rope. What are the advantages on the loose foot over the good old bolt rope ?
and 2nd question... full batten, 2x2, or standard ?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Loose foot was much nicer to adjust the outhaul for conditions on my North Main on my O'Day 25, my C310 is bolt and I don't like it since I got use to my loose foot.

My O'Day 25 had top 2 full and bottom 2 partial, my C310 is 4 full and I do like the better shape of full so I plan to stick with full.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Loose foot is the way to go. As others said it's much easier to adjust the outhaul. As to the battens that depends on how much you want to adjust your sail shape and how often your main luffs. If you don't mind not being able to open the roach as much and you often find your sail just flapping to reduce power then full battens are the way to go. If you want better shape / performance then the 2+2 is ideal as you can twist off the top of the sail more easily with the outhaul. As for the sail manufacture, I ordered mine from precision and love them. Even raced them in Nationals this year. There not as fast as Waters sails (the man make a killer sail and is priced alongside CD for sails) but they do the job for me. I actually went to the Ullman loft in San Diego where CD gets their sails and they can match the CD sails and add customization at a slightly lower cost if you want to go that route. Ullman makes a good sail as well. Looking for a good racing and cruising sail is like finding the unicorn. You will have to pick a middle ground. For me it was a tri radial dacron with a full 150 genoa and a 2+2 main. I love the way the boat handles with these sails. However be advised that if you go with a class speck main it will hit the back stay on every tack. I had the leech reduced on my main because I did not want to deal with that during light winds. I hope this helps.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Every year in the fall, CD seems to have a end of year discount on Ullman sails I believe. Might be coming up soon.

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks guys. Shout out to Lake Shark. Good reference to the people at Precision Sails in Victoria, BC, Canada. Spoke to them several times. Nice people, great knowledge sharing. no pressure. Couple of calls with the sales guy, and one with a designer and I was sold. Somewhat customized Tri-Radial Main with the new 'warp drive' Dacron cloth construction (no laminates), full battens and all of the standard 'off the shelf' sail control stuff Ullman/CD were offering. Custom lettering and draft stripe colours (blue to match the hull). Bottom line was about $250 over the discounted CD price but having the chance to discuss my sailing needs, conditions, and areas of concern for sail design had me sold. Will get a premium sail with great upwind light air capabilities but also cope with the occasional big puff (until we can drop the sail, start the motor, head for the marina, and break out the rum). Further design review after I make some measurements then off to the (laser) cutting bench.

Aug 31, 2011
Congrats, I'm jealous. :thumbup:
Precision's furling headsail prices are very good. c $800 for Tri-radial in 135 or 150. Still deciding this winter or next year. Their foam tape option can turn a 150 into a 135 if needed. Tempted...