Cross bar for Halyard over campanion way slider

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@odj22sailor ,

Ya know, I've been wondering the same thing. Chances are, the only way to get one is to make it yourself. A good friend of mine races his Catalina 27, and did the same thing with his boat; it took him $300 and lots of time and fiberglass work to get that crossbar made and installed. I really wish I had something like that for my boat, too...every time I race Sonars, which have the same setup, I always think, "Man, this is nice...". :) Lemme do some research and I'll see if I come up with anything!

Nov 1, 2017
Just did some more thinking...I'm not sure about your boat, but my Cat 25 doesn't have the proper rig for this setup, because the halyards aren't run through a set of blocks at the tabernacle, as shown in the picture. This means I would have to add those blocks and reinforcement beneath them in order to have the halyard running the right direction, and you might have to do the same. Honestly, that's a lotta work, but I'm sure it'll be worth it after it were finished. You've got me thinking now!

Nov 1, 2017
the lines run into the cabin...
That's true, but it looks to me like you could close the companionway overhead slat and just let the lines drop into the floor of the cockpit (which no one likes). Personally, I'd install some of those bags that snap onto the backside of the companionway wall:

Kinda like that. My friend's Cat 27 is just like that, and it works great!

Nov 1, 2017
what is chubby doing sitting in the bow pulpit when sailing downwind? Look at the bow of that boat dig into the water!
I was thinking the same thing! But I can honestly give them credit for having the cleanest looking Cat 22 I've ever seen...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah. My wife or crew keeps sheets tidy between tacks. My halyards are winched at the mast. My primaries are not in the cockpit. They are on the cabin top beside the slider. But then this is a trimaran, so a little different. Even so, to each his own. It does remind me of my US1 where all my lines were led to the gunwale where I sat. That was nice.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's true, but it looks to me like you could close the companionway overhead slat and just let the lines drop into the floor of the cockpit (which no one likes). Personally, I'd install some of those bags that snap onto the backside of the companionway wall:

Kinda like that. My friend's Cat 27 is just like that, and it works great!
For storage for sure. But for sailing (and in particular racing) lots of lines need to get out of the way fast, and and even more importantly come back up clean. So down the hole they go. That bag might work as working storage for two lines, but how about 16?
GP020025.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
That bag might work as working storage for two lines, but how about 16?
That's a good point. That's what I did on the Sonars, was just toss em' down in the cabin and it worked fine, the only problem being that when it came time for someone to grab the halyard, they had to reach down into the companionway and make sure the line wasn't wrapped around anything (whisker poles, spin poles, spare fenders, ditch bag, etc.). In a larger cabin like the 22 has, though, I'm sure that isn't an issue.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Just did some more thinking...I'm not sure about your boat, but my Cat 25 doesn't have the proper rig for this setup, because the halyards aren't run through a set of blocks at the tabernacle, as shown in the picture. This means I would have to add those blocks and reinforcement beneath them in order to have the halyard running the right direction, and you might have to do the same. Honestly, that's a lotta work, but I'm sure it'll be worth it after it were finished. You've got me thinking now!
You can always get one of these

There are numerous manufacturers of these.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hi All,
Is someone making the flat crossbar for halyards I am seeing for racing?
Most likely this is a custom piece built by the owner of this boat. However the C 22 racers are a great group and are quick to share ideas / designs. I would try contacting the racers on the Facebook group or through the Catalina association website. I am sure the chief measurer (email on the association website) could put you in contact with the right people. Otherwise check the tech manual as there is likely an article in there about running your halyards this way.

Depending on the year of your boat you may have to add turning blocks to the base of the mast to make this work. 1986 and newer already have turning blocks on the side of the cabin top and internal halyards (thought not lined up for this configuration). If I were to use my boat for full time racing I would certainly be thinking about it.

what is chubby doing sitting in the bow pulpit when sailing downwind? Look at the bow of that boat dig into the water!
He is there to help the boat gain speed downwind. While perhaps he could sit a little closer to the cabin top all racers of C 22 put a man on the bow going down wind. The stern of the boat is very heavy and with the required class weight of the outboard on the stern it amplifies the problem. Placing a man on the bow lifts the stern and increases down wind speed. I put 2 or 3 kids on the bow when I race and can speak from experience that it makes a big difference when racing JAM down wind like the boat pictured.

If you really want to know all the tricks come down to Ft Gibson for Nationals this June. It's the 50th anniversary of the C22 one design and they are shooting for 50 boats on the starting line. Details are on the Association website.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Which is exactly where they should be. Best place for lines.

BTW - what is chubby doing sitting in the bow pulpit when sailing downwind? Look at the bow of that boat dig into the water!
Possibly getting the transom up out the water to create less wake drag??? We do this on our smaller dinghies... especially on the run downwind.

Aug 3, 2012
The base plate with mounts for turning blocks can be found at CatalinaDirect for theirs boats, but I am sure SBO has them from 3rd party sources!

Aug 3, 2012
You know what else they have on this boat: the boomkicker. I had that on my C22 and loved it. It eliminated the need for the topping lift, kept the boom out of your face when tacking! I also had the base plate for turning blocks. It worked nicely with a couple shaeffer deck organizers to lead lines aft.

Nov 1, 2017
Possibly getting the transom up out the water to create less wake drag???
Flatter is faster, that's what I've learned. Oddly, however, different tactics downwind can make all the difference when it comes to gaining any ground in a race. For example, when my brother and I raced FJs this past summer, we were one of the heaviest teams out there. In order to gain as much of an advantage as possible, we would try all these different tactics downwind to gain more speed since we were heavier; we found that the Brazilians and South Africans were using this tactic: They would pitch the boat hard to starboard, placing the main high in the air and the jib beneath, almost as if they were using the rig like a horizontally mounted kite. The first couple races, Zander and I retorted them for doing this, but found that it actually did work when we gave it a try.

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Flatter is faster, that's what I've learned. Oddly, however, different tactics downwind can make all the difference when it comes to gaining any ground in a race. For example, when my brother and I raced FJs this past summer, we were one of the heaviest teams out there. In order to gain as much of an advantage as possible, we would try all these different tactics downwind to gain more speed since we were heavier; we found that the Brazilians and South Africans were using this tactic: They would pitch the boat hard to starboard, placing the main high in the air and the jib beneath, almost as if they were using the rig like a vertically mounted kite. The first couple races, Zander and I retorted them for doing this, but found that it actually did work when we gave it a try.
Yep... putting the main way up there to catch the wind is good practice! ... just don't Jybe,,, We also teach our young sailors to roll their boats very strongly to windward just before tacking so that after tacking bringing the boats upright will give the boat a scoot along on the new tack... especially in light airs!

I don't think that will work so well on a keel boat though!

Nov 1, 2017
roll their boats very strongly to windward just before tacking
Yes, the roll tack is an absolute MUST. If you don't have that down, you're not a real racer yet ;) ! Also, I believe the biggest threat while pitching downwind was keeping the boat in that position; the reason for this is because the rules clearly state that a boat cannot be rolled downwind in attempt to gain speed. While pitching the boat, sometimes the wind and waves would take over, pitch the boat back the other way and start a rolling motion, resulting in a direct penalty.