Crazy mods

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
So what do I do when I have to work and no sailing time is in sight? Dream about the craziest mods I will probably never do. I'll go first.
Turn the garbage storage into an ice box to store the 2.5gal keg filled with my home brew. Use the froward dinette storage for the C02 tank. Run the tap lines up next to the sink. Ice cold home brew while cruising!!! image-392408860.jpg

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
That's not so crazy. Its your boat - do what pleases or works for you.

There is almost nothing that I haven't changed, fixed, or modded on our old boat, and more to come.

I'm considering cutting an engine well into the transom...

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice!! That's one way to keep the captain and crew happy. Years ago, an Uncle of mine installed a dedicated refrigerator in his basement that would hold a keg and had a tap on the door. He used to hit it pretty regularly while mowing the yard. It was easy to see from the straightness of the mower tire tracks exactly where the beer started kicking in...

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Ha! Great brew mod idea & stories. I agree: happy crew happy boat.

Only two questions come to mind for your mod idea: what marina are you in? And when's happy hour?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
NOT CRAZY... Genius!

So what do I do when I have to work and no sailing time is in sight? Dream about the craziest mods I will probably never do. I'll go first.
Turn the garbage storage into an ice box to store the 2.5gal keg filled with my home brew. Use the froward dinette storage for the C02 tank. Run the tap lines up next to the sink. Ice cold home brew while cruising!!! View attachment 90792

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I think I've already accomplished my 'crazy' mod... I added some additional down tubes and a new cross bar to my stern rail. I have the newer style 'X' traveler track to put on the new cross bar, this eliminates the old round tube traveler bar. The stern rail is stronger and you pick up the tiller handle higher without much change to the lead angle of the traveler car/main sheet to the boom;

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
T-Cat: how did you iceboxify the garbage bin ?
I planning on making it into a uber insulated one eventually.

Personally I think a beer keg should have been an option from Catalina, along with a margarita slushie machine, and wine chiller

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Turn the garbage storage into an ice box to store the 2.5gal keg filled with my home brew. Use the froward dinette storage for the C02 tank. Run the tap lines up next to the sink. Ice cold home brew while cruising!!! View attachment 90792
Will it fit only a 2 1/2 Gallon, or could you find a spot for a 5 Gallon corney keg. I home brew and use corneys, but my icebox is too narrow at the bottom due to hull curvature for a corney keg.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
What would be really nice is to have someone weld up a custom shaped stainless steel tank of 5 gals or so or that space. Maybe even split the tank in into two compartments and fit it with Cornelius keg fittings. Than you could have a nice pale ale or IPA and a nice hard cider for the admiral. Of course 2 taps handles would really up the WOW factor......