Cpt autopilot

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
Has anyone installed a CPT Autopilot on their 386? I’ve been reading about them and the installation looks pretty simple.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There are a number of YouTube vid reviews on the CPT.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I have seen the video reviews which intrigued me and led to my post. I was hoping to get some feedback from this group.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Jacksonville FL
Installed on a Hunter 37.5. Very happy with performance. Install not so straight forward. Had to make some modifications

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As with all such tools it is an option and a compromise.

The drawbacks of the CPT are that the belt and the drive are exposed to the elements and your hands/clothing/loose lines in the cockpit. It is not the only such piece of equipment which can present a risk to the people on board (i.e. winches can grab finger when used), but it is one that you will need to be alert to.

The Idea that these tools are usable in all conditions at sea are poorly founded. You must decide how you will be sailling and how you will be using the tools. And even then be prepared to have the tool break or fail.

My Raymarine EV100 (which has all wheel and belt elements covered) just had a hiccup. The wheel unit clutch would not release. The unit was jammed. The unit functioned to control the wheel as the motor turned the wheel, but the action was slow to respond. When I came into the Marina I wanted to be able to miss the boats coming and going. I could turn the unit off and over power the motor and belt drive to steer into my slip, but this is a temporary solution. Removing the Wheel unit and opening it up showed that the motor was not properly set. That the Clutch arm was loose and suspected of a crack in the fitting over what Raymarine calls their "Eccentric gear". Could not see any deformity in the end of the gear so suspect the clutch handle is the fail point. Working on a solution to this issue.

While the CPT unit does not have the same issues (as it appears to have a positive control of the clutch to the belt) the exposed pulleys and belts are a compromise the boat owner needs to be aware.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I installed one on my Catalina 28MKII. It was a tricky install, and I had to have some brackets fabricated for me locally (at a reasonable cost). I'm very happy with the unit.

Yes, there is an exposed belt, but to suggest that the exposed belt poses a risk or hazard is an exaggeration. This isn't the alternator belt on your diesel, it's a lightweight toothed belt under low tension. It would be easy to rip the belt off the large pulley with just one hand.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I installed a CPT autopilot on my Hunter 410 last year, then cruised down the east coast and through the Bahamas. Overall, I'm very pleased and the CPT did a decent job (I was single-handing, by the way). I would advise purchasing the optional tension idler for the drive belt (allows you to keep tension fairly loose to minimize belt breakage) and PLENTY of spare shear pins (my CPT doesn't seem to like large following seas or 5'+ waves hitting the aft quarter of the boat).

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
Thanks for your reply. After I get the generator installed and the new canvas this winter, the CPT is on my list. Hopefully one goes in next spring.