Cotter pin sizes

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Anyone know the cotter pin sizes needed for H34 standing rigging? I forgot to grab my bag while at the boat this weekend and meant to get the diameters and length to order a new set in preparation for splashing.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi Artey1,

I changed mine to the rings on the shrouds. That way I don't cover my turnbuckles with tape and can keep them well rinsed. Note how they retain over the barrel of the turnbuckle so nothing rotates. I also incorporated a shackle on my chainplate that serves my Dutchman Boom Brake. The back side of those clevis pins still have cotter pins. If memory serves me they are 1/8" x 2". You might take a clevis pin with you to the hardware store and make sure they fit.

Allan
20150625_123758_8_bestshot.jpg
20150625_123851_7_bestshot.jpg

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Hey Allan, thank you for the great ideas, I may give the rings a shot. I haven't thought about a boom break much yet, but thats a clever mounting point. I had thought toe rail in the past. I love the H34 toe rails, good versatility out of them. I owe you an extra big thank you. I copied your rendition of the compression post and I gotta say, solid as a rock!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hi Allan, I also changed to rings years ago and have been happy ever since. I leave them on the turnbuckles when I unstep the mast so don't have to look for them. Or look for cutter pins LOL. Not to hi-jack the thread, but in your second pix I noticed your portside reef line crosses over the halyard coming out of the mast. If you had the reef line set on the inboard sheave of the deck organizer with the halyard on the outboard sheave, they would not cross and thus no chafing. Simple to get them out of the cockpit area with a fish and switch them. If you want pictures I'll make some tomorrow. Regards

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I switched to rings on all turnbuckles. Got the biggest ones that would fit the TB holes. Now it is easy to stand in one spot on deck and scan that they are all in place. Not so easily done with cotter pins, IMHO.