control & stability on waves > 2 M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2010
MacGregor 26X Orillia
sailing and motoring in Georgian Bay this week, we encountered a significant change in weather; from a SW wind 5 - 10 knots, waves 0.5 M. to strong winds frist from SW changing to W 25 - 30 knots, waves increased in 30 min to 1 M. and by the end of the hour to 2M.

under power we headed for shelter with waves on the beam or port quarter. a very rough ride for the last 30 minutes.

any suggestions for improved handling in these conditions ? (beyond using the VHF tuned to the weather report)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
when it gets rough, I put the main sail up. reefed if needed.

I feel much more in control with the sails than the engine. even if you motorsail, the main gives it some stability.

can reef in all conditions safely. if not work on the controls

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The sail up will help but sometimes the ride is just going to be ruff no matter what you do.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mr Bill is correct.

Two weeks ago in the Albemarle sound we hit closely spaced 5' - 6' chop. I tried to motor through it and thought I was going to lose a filling. Put up my smallest jib and two reefs in the main turned off the motor and things smoothed out a lot and we actually had fun. I have slab reefing set up on my main so that was not hard. Changing the head sail in those conditions was another story. Next on the fantasy list is roller reefing.

The lesson I learned is to change head sails early. It is much easier to put up a bigger sail when things get to calm than to put up a small sail when things get rough.

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
[ It is much easier to put up a bigger sail when things get to calm than to put up a small sail when things get rough.[/quote]

That quote is the tattoo that all sailors should get for their first one...then later you can get one from our daughter www.jessiehopeless.com :dance:

JDK

Status
Not open for further replies.