considering a 27PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2013
none none Thunder Bay
I am looking at a 27PS for sale and think it will meet my needs. Sailed dingies and cats in my mispent youth. Now looking for something that the wife and I can enjoy for social activties.

What should I look over? Any particular problems with these boats?

It is powered by a Honda 45 hp four stroke. My understanding is that a typical boat of this size often runs into trouble in waves with the respect to having the prop come out of the water. Does the 27PS design do anything to help/minmize this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have had the prop come out once. It was a few weeks ago and the swell here extremely big for the 27PS. If I were alone or with experienced crew I would have rode it out but my crew was my niece, so we went back in.

45 hp seems a little steep for the boat. However, it was designed to handle 2 x 70hp, or 140hp total. After all, it is a power sailer. With that in mind, she will plane if given the chance, buy maybe not with 45hp.

My 27PS has some heavy crazing. The surveyor had no issues so I am not overly concerned. The boat is over 25 years old so I would expect something like that from a mid price range production boat. Other than that, maybe check the ports and forward hatch for leaks. Check all the plumbing to make sure the valves open and close. Check your electrical to make sure all is also working. Electrical is easy to work on but plumbing might be a little harder.

If you haven't already done so, the 27PS User Manual is on this site and also my website. Download and read. This way you will know were things are when you go aboard.

My wife likes the boat. She said that when she was down below in quarter napping while I was sailing, she could not feel the motion of the boat. I believe the bunks are at water level so the ride is smooth.

Good luck and have fun. If you find a trailer for the boat I would be interested in the design details. I need a trail to pull the boat for some work I would like to do out of the water.

Brian D

Jun 3, 2013
none none Thunder Bay
Thanks Brian.....

I hoped I would hear from you. (I've stumbled across your website already) You're right on the money! The hatches leak and the portholes are cracked... but the price is right! It has been out of the water for two seasons so the seller is motivated.

The trailer he had made was WAY over designed. He paid $8000 for it so out of my range. I will get you some pics next time I go buy.

Good to hear that the outboards perform well.

I hope to get a survey done within the week.

Thanks again!

Feb 17, 2006
I use, as you may know, a Yamaha 9.9 extra long shaft. So the prop coming out is a rare event. But when it did come out, the bow was pointing into the trough of the wave. So it was no surprise.

I was thinking maybe a Catalina 27 trailer might work but I am interested in what that guy did.

Have fun and it sounds like a good project boat if that is what you want. LOL

Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
Hello,
I have a 1985 PS. Like Brian's boat, mine has crazing as well. Other than that everything is what I would consider normal wear and tear. My bow hatch has only 1 working lockdown tab, and I have to keep a silicon bead on the joint between the plexiglass and frame. However, it does not leak. My ports do not leak either... knock on wood.

I had a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 hp long shaft, but this season I mounted a 2 stroke Yamaha 40hp long shaft. Similar to Brian's story I was excited to head out onto Lake Erie with my new motor. Once out of the bay I hit 5 foot swells, and my prop came out of the water more than a few times with when I had direct following seas, I had to alter course and cut but throttle some. So, my recommendation would be to get an extra long shaft if you can, or stay out of rough water.

Also, I have the original owners manual with a Horsepower/speed chart and I make 10mph with my 40hp just like the chart says.

In short. I love this boat. Occasionally, I think about going to a pure sailboat, or even a power boat. But I love this boat too much. The other hybrids (MacGregors, and Hunters) feel like Walmart value boats to me.

Good luck.
Todd

Feb 17, 2006
I would still love to find a trailer for this boat, or at least the design spec for a trailer.

Jul 10, 2011
Brian I have what I believe to be the original trailer for the 27ps. I double check the original owners paper work and to confirm and see if I have any design specs. Although I don't remember seeing any specs. I do use the trailer every winter and its in need if repairs before this winter. I can get some photos for you and some measurements.
Todd

Feb 17, 2006
Shellback, that would be great. I will PM you my email address.Thanks a million.

Jun 3, 2013
none none Thunder Bay
Got It!

Boat was delivered to my yard today. He's leaving it here on the trailer for a couple weeks so I can do some work before taking it down to the lake.

If you send me you email, I can take some pics of the trailer for you.

Now - The work begins!!!

Jul 10, 2011
Congrats!

Boat was delivered to my yard today. He's leaving it here on the trailer for a couple weeks so I can do some work before taking it down to the lake.

If you send me you email, I can take some pics of the trailer for you.

Now - The work begins!!!
It will be a labor of love for you I'm sure. Hope you get on the water soon.
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.