Compass Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Hey folks...I'm looking for some opinions on compasses for the Merry Bee. We currently have a bulkhead-mounted Gemini compass - methinks it's the original - and after 30+ years, it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at the Ritchie BN-202 Navigator, but I also saw the Suunto B116 during my search. They both LOOK nice, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or used either - or both - of these units and has opinions as to which may be better and why? Thanks for your input! Jim Maroldo Ocean Gate, NJ

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
bought three

Bought four on Ebay. The first three were for power boats and the fouth was for a sailboat. There is a difference - the powerboat ones have a heavier fluid in them (castor oil?) and the sailboat unscented paint thinner. Also the sailboat one works if you hold it to most any degree angle. The power boaty one won't work past an angle of 10 degrees or so.

Dec 5, 2004
- - San Leon, TX
why would you think....

Why would you think your compass needed upgrading? Is it now defective? Cannot be adjusted or the deviations random? Leaking fluid...bubbles? lens sun cracked or crazed? If none of the above, then your compass, if it served you 30 years satisfactorily is the same as it always has been. If you just want a prettier one, let me know and I will send you the shipping costs and you can send me that old one. btw I have a Suunto and it is satisfactory, but I also had a Richie that was also okay. Just get one that fits your boat and your needs. Someone mentioned the fluids. They will range from .930 spgr alcohol and water(vodka) in the high end Sestrel hand compasses through a wide range of petroleum derivitives(paint thinner, un-scented kerosene...same thing essentially) mixed with mineral oil(from any drugstore) the ratios determine the viscosity. g'Luk didereaux

J

Jim

Thanks for the info, folks! The reason I was looking was because, the dome on my old Gemini was yellow with age, it developed an air space (don't see any leakage...I think the bellows lost its flex), AND the mounting bezel was cracked in a few places. I got a few estimates for rebuilding this one, but it was about the same as a new compass! Anyway, it's a moot point now, 'cuz I did look on ebay and found a local NJ dist who had 3 brand-new Aquameter Gemini compasses for $50.00 apiece! Needless to say, I now have a nice compass to show me the way for the next 30 years! If anyone is interested, check the link to see waht else they have... Jim s/v: the Merry Bee M28OI

Status
Not open for further replies.