COMPARISON

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jack everitt

I HAVE BEEN SAILING A HUNTER 23.5 FOR THE PAST 5 YRS. I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE UP TO A MAC 26 TO GET THE 50HP. PLUS THE CABIN DESIGN TO FAR SUPERIOR THAN ANYTHING HUNTER HAS. OTHER THAN GETTING A BIGGER BOAT, HAS ANYONE BEEN IN A POSITION TO COMPARE ANY SALING DIFFERIENCES? I HAVE NOTICED THAT HUNTER"S SAIL CLOSER INTO THE WIND DUE TO THE SMALLER JIB. WHAT ABOUT QUALITY AND RELIABILITY OF PARTS?

T

T. OReilly

Former Mac 26X owner

As a former MacGregor 26X owner for 4 years, ( I got one of the first models) I was glad I boughjt and a lttle sad to sell it I get a Catalina 32 this spring The MacGregor with the 50HP ( I reccommend a 4 stroke) is pretty good at sailing and pretty good at powering, In chop when powrinig it does pound a lot and you will get wet, and you ahve to leave the rudders down otherwise it does wanders. In calm water it goes like hell under power, I never got 25MPH but I did 18 -19 regularly, about 3X a regular sailboat. Nice when a storm is coming up or you have to get back fast. Needs a lot of extras if you buy it new, but the price is very good. It does sail OK but it is very tender.

S

Sam Durst

Read Dean's Response....

to my post titled Considering a Purchase. He has some good input on what years to consider - not necessarily around sail performance but Mac in general. I've talked to a lot of people as I'm considering a purchase too and find that there are a lot of very loyal MacGregor owners around. It may not be a racer, but seems that for all around enjoyment - the Mac has the right formula.

D

Doug A

Hunter vs Macgregor

I can answer part of your question, I owned the 13th 23.5 that was built by hunter. I currently own a 26c, 1995 model, so I can not answer the x part. I love my mac, it sails well and the number of stress cracks is minimal. Most of them are because of some dulmb thing that I have done. The quality of the hardware is about the same. I like the room of the 26x over mine, but I have been told that mine will sail better. All of the bashing is done by non-owners. I do not know how your 23.5 trailed, but mine was awful, it swayed too much. I say go for it, you will enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.