Companionway boards/Pop top

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 36cc Fort Myers
In a driving rainstorm is it normal to expect leakage from these areas? Had some repair guys come to find leaks (water under table and some in bilge), and they said that's where my leaks are coming from??????

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Yes, that would be normal... Best way to possibly correct it on the pop-top is replace the seal. When they are old/compressed they won't be as water tight as they used to be.

The companion way crib-boards... those things could never be considered water tight. Mine are so old that after 30 years and possibly numerous sanding sessions they are thinner than before, so they don't seat very snug in the frame. Best solution is to check the bedding/sealant on the trim and possibly replace (the sealant). for the crib-boards, I'm going to build up the edges with thickened epoxy and hope that takes up some of the gap.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I pressure washed the boat, and water got in the same area.
I suspect it was mostly through the vent cutouts on the crib boards and the where the pop-top meets the boards, but I'm just guessing.
Once I get the teak installed again, I plan on having someone sit inside while I spray like crazy and determine if it's possible to make it a bit more water tight.
Due to the design of the hatch boards on my boat it will never will be fully water tight.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Yep. Instead of $40 at the popular online Catalina parts retailer, pick up a roll of 5/8" wide closed cell weather stripping at your favorite home improvement store.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine getting any meaningful amount of rain water from under the pop top seal. Seems like the least likely place I can think of, if you ask me.

Atrometer, you mentioned "driving" rain. There is a HUGE gap at the forward end of the poptop, between it and and the sliding hatch. You could practically pass your hand through it. When trailering in heavy rain, we get a ton of water through there, so much that I'll stuff a towel in the gap if I think about it in time. But then again, that's at 60 mph, which would be one helluva driving rain while the boat was sitting still.

But yeah, JMHO and all, I could be wrong, but the poptop seal just seems like a really long shot to me. Companionway boards are much more likely to leak, followed by windows, chainplates, and just about every other deck penetration. Man my '79 C22 practically RAINED water inside when I first bought her.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
define driving and from what direction, I personally think the entire poptop and crib boards are prone to leak in a windy rain storm

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
.....There is a HUGE gap at the forward end of the poptop, between it and and the sliding hatch. ......
Thanks Gene !
That makes complete sense with what I experienced when pressure washing the boat.

I have to repair a crack in the hatch this winter and will have it removed.
Has anyone used a rubber gasket there ?

The hatch boards would definitely leak on my boat due their design. They have, what I can only assume are meant to be, a beveled vent section in part of the edge, which can easily leak.
Also, where the hatch and top hatchboard meets can leak due to it being a non-beveled butt joint.

When I refinish the hatchboards I'm thinking of modifying them

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
If you ever find yourself trailering your boat and expecting to be driving through rain, take some duck or masking tape and tape off that huge, rain swallowing gap on the front of the sliding hatch and your inside will be nice and dry when you get to the lake. It's worked twice for me now so I keep the tape aboard the boat.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
If you ever find yourself trailering your boat and expecting to be driving through rain, take some duck or masking tape and tape off that huge, rain swallowing gap on the front of the sliding hatch and your inside will be nice and dry when you get to the lake. It's worked twice for me now so I keep the tape aboard the boat.
I am finding out sunbrella hatch cover to be great for keeping moisture out of the pop top area. It has also protected the teak in that area.

Lane

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 36cc Fort Myers
I took everyone's advice (Thank You!) and put a tarp (boom tent) from the mast to rhe end of the boom. Through two thunderstorms and no water inside - looks like a pop top gasket and new companionway boards will solve my problems. Thanks again!