Columbia 21--?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michael mauri

Hello, I am looking at a Columbia to buy. The owner says it is a 22'(rare)made for only one or two years. The cabin windows are round, not rectangular. My sailing experience consists of sabots, sunfish and hobie cats. This would be quite a step up, but it looks like a fast boat. Does anybody have experience of this hull(good, bad or otherwise). What should I look at closely before buying(weak points). Any comments are welcome. Thanks

M

Michael Andersen

C-22 to buy

I would check for the Columbia name plate located in the V-birth on the starboard side just aft of the head to make sure it is a Columbia. I own the 64th one made with an all wood interior( No liner) I also have no Stove and no Dinette just two Settee's one to port and one to starboard. At a recent Columbia rendezvous where I was able to speak with Mr. Dick Valdez the man who started Columbia Yachts and he told me that only the very early ones had a all wood interior the rest had liners built in and they all came with the standerd interior which had a Dinette to port, a stove and ice box to starboard which had a single birth that went under the cockpit, with a v-berth forward with the head located there as well. All the exteriors were the same. So the windows would lead me to think you are not looking at a Columbia. In order for your boat to have round windows it means they would have had to change molds (not likely) and the 21 did not have a cabin top.

T

Thomas A Adams

looking at one myself

I am going tolook at a Columbia 22 in a week. I talked to the owner and he said it points to the wind very well. He also stated that it takes five foot seas without a problem. Nice boat to sail. Hope this helps. I think it will be a good boat to buy. I have done quite a bit of study on on the columbia class and they get good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.