Cockpit Hatch Support

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Can't say I have ... I use a piece of thin bungee "shock cord" with a hook on one end, secured to a small padeye under the lid and hooked to the lifeline. Especially handy at the anchor locker, to keep from getting your toes chopped.

$tingysailor had (has?) a stainless gas-piston setup, a bit more high tech, but costlier.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
If you install the stern pulpit just a little bit oddly the hatch actually catches in the up position on port and starboard sides and you do not need a holder, lol.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
When I was looking into supports. Those spring ones in stainless seem easy to find.
I have used them on deck (edit: house deck not boat deck) storage box lids. Occasionally I would bump the spring when digging in the bottom, and the lid would try closing. A stronger one would likely prevent that.

I looked into stainless gas units, but I have decided it was over kill.

I'm back to bungie cord like Neil is using.
The previous owner used normal bungies, but having them permanently attached to the lid is better.
I removed the hook on one end and mounted it on the anchor locker lid. Doing that to the other hatches is a project for this summer.

Last edited: