CO2 Alarms on Huntet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Leave my 2007 Hunter 38 in the slip with shore power. When I return all three of the CO2 detectors are beeping every thirty seconds indicating "trouble". Any ideas? Is it low voltage (house batteries show 12.5 volts on my return) or have all three detectors failed simultaneously?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I would sooner think, the power went off or glitched...

reset them after you finish trouble shooting the problem, then pull the power and see what they do. Reading the manual may give more definition to what triggers "trouble state"

We selected battery (AA or 9v) powered models to eliminate this type of problem

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Your alarms are to detect carbon monoxide. Carbon dioxide is what we breath out and if you enter a room where somebody is smoking and you can smell the smoke then for sure you are breathing in his exhaled breath. Not nice but certainly doesn't kill you.
Carbon MONOXIDE is the deadly one and this is what your alarms try to detect.

Searched this site for Carbon Monoxide on your behalf. 13 responses. Most interesting is http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=827318&highlight=Monoxide alarm
You might be detecting battery gasses (hydrogen) or the sensors could be beyond their expiry date.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Did you measure voltage at the batteries or at the detectors? Only the latter is meaningful particularly if all three are on the same circuit.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Ditto

I have been having same problem with my 2007 H-36.
I reset them many times when I get to the boat and than go sailing and they start beeping sailing,it started off with just the one in the vee berth and now the rear berth does it also and the boat is on the hard and they are beeping when i visit the boat.
What I did is cut the wires to 2 and so far the main saloon is OK and I think I will buy one that uses 9volt batteries and see what happens.
I asked this same thing here recently and some one says they go bad after a few years also some one said high temp in boat will set them off,the manual said to vacum them clean every so often.
I will try 9volt ones soon and see how they do and leave the one in the main saloon hooked up and see what happens.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Thanks folks. The alarms are not indicating CO2 but trouble with the alarm by beeping once every 30 seconds. Of course when 3 go off it is every 10 seconds - kind of irritating. They expire in 2012 so getting near the end.

I called the manufacture. They said could be low voltage or expired alarm. The weird thing is for three to fail at the same time so my concern is a bad charger. But that seems ok so I guess I will visit the RV store and get new ones.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Never heard of such a thing

Never heard of a CO2 alarm. Not really sure they even make such a thing. I've seen plenty of CO alarms though.

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. I sometimes correct other people's spelling also. Is that a bad thing?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
robertsapp, actually they do make and sell CO2 (carbon dioxide) detectors, though I believe the question does refer to CO (carbon monoxied) detector. CO2 detectors are used to measure air quality in larger buildings.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
On Line

If you go on the internet they have a good selection and good prices on 12volt with battery backup.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Never heard of a CO2 alarm. Not really sure they even make such a thing. I've seen plenty of CO alarms though.

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. I sometimes correct other people's spelling also. Is that a bad thing?
Must be all the global warming talk has me brainwashed

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
It is the house batteries. The detectors are dumb and are smelling your batteries as they re charge. My hunter 41 has all 3 detectors disconnected for this reason. Depending on Brand , detectors are programmed to die after 5-7 years. Great business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.