CO detectors on H356

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
On our H356 we have 3 CO detectors that appear to be hard wired on to the power panel. Last year the one in the v-berth started alarming for no reason, I had to disconnect the wires to turn it off. I now have one that gives a chirp once or twice a day. I suspect it will eventually fail as well. As they are 10 years old I am wondering if they need to be replaced ? or can the be cleaned or otherwise refurbished ?

Thanks Bob

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I'm starting my 11th season and mine are still working. If I had a problem, I'd replace them. CO is too critical an item to take a chance with it.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
The detector may be failing, but before assuming that, there is something else to try. In addition to being hard wired they also have a 9 volt battery in them.

Try replacing the batteries. I had one that started chirping (of course it was in the middle do the night and scared the heck out of me). Did some web searching and found that the chirp may be an indicator of low battery. And yes even though it is powered system the low battery made it chirp.

May 8, 2004
Hunter 44DS Sea Cliff YC, NY
My 3 CO detectors started chirping recently in my 2007 H44, and in fact it turns out if you read the instructions that they have a life expectancy by design of 5 years (right on time). Don't mess around with something potentially so critical. Throw them out (BTW much cheaper on Amazon than West Marine).

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Replaced

I replaed mine on my 07 h 36 also after they did the same but changed to ones that use 3 aa batties and do smoke & co with audio warning no hard wiring any more

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
thanks guys it all makes perfect sense, I just ordered 3 new ones from Amazon, appear to identical to the ones on board, they will be here in few days and I'll swap them out........

Bob

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Bob 04 H260 said:
On our H356 we have 3 CO detectors that appear to be hard wired on to the power panel. Last year the one in the v-berth started alarming for no reason, I had to disconnect the wires to turn it off. I now have one that gives a chirp once or twice a day. I suspect it will eventually fail as well. As they are 10 years old I am wondering if they need to be replaced ? or can the be cleaned or otherwise refurbished ?

Thanks Bob
Maybe it's not your co detectors ?? When I first got my boat mine keep going off too!.... Found out it was the main ground on the circuit board of my battery charger getting to hot because it was not properly installed correctly at the factory.:cussing:A fire in the making!!! Later co detectors started doing it again.Turned out, it was a small leak in a/c unit freon. Then just a few years ago while servicing fridge, just a very, very small about of freon got burped out of the strader valve... now mind you this is while boat was totally opened up.... when the co in the main saloon when off immediately.
I would check all your other systems first!!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.