Clear cystals found in undersink cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2012
MacGregor 26 Oceanside
The cystals are probably Sodium Cloride (salt) because they taste like it. Is this indicative of sea water long standing?
The compartments on the left side are all dry, but some compartments on the right side have water; does this means the water ballast tank is leaking into the boat ?

What other probably reasons are there for this water to be in some compartments on the right side of the boat?

The boat is a 1994 26.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
The cystals are probably Sodium Cloride (salt) because they taste like it. Is this indicative of sea water long standing?
The compartments on the left side are all dry, but some compartments on the right side have water; does this means the water ballast tank is leaking into the boat ?

What other probably reasons are there for this water to be in some compartments on the right side of the boat?

The boat is a 1994 26.
So you found mysterious crystal like structures under the moldy sink cabinet of your boat that have formed from being there so long and naturally......you tasted them?!?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So you found mysterious crystal like structures under the seat compartments of your boat that have formed from being there so long and naturally......you tasted them?!?
:clap::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty:

I'm a chemist and I also serve at the chemical hygiene officer at my work. I must say:eek: that I cringed when I read the OP.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Chemist

:clap::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty:

I'm a chemist and I also serve at the chemical hygiene officer at my work. I must say:eek: that I cringed when I read the OP.
I am a chemist also, nearly 50 years in the lab and Quality areas.

While it is not a good practice to taste unknowns it use to be a standard analytical test. I don't know about recently, but taste was part of the specification of many chemicals and commodities.

I know of very few chemicals that the amount transferred to the tongue from the tip of the finger that touched the material could cause death or major poisoning. If the OP had eliminated all other sources for the crystals and knew what had been and what is stored in the area, I see nothing wrong with taste in helping identify the material.

However I should remind the OP that dried urine is also salty. ;-)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I assume you have a 26s? and wherever oceanside is, its near salt water...

the centerboard cable exits through the sink cabinet? and water entering that would be salt. so its logical to think that is salt water that entered thought the cable? (solution: stuff a sponge in the tube).

and the water in the bilge is probably NOT salt. but entered through the chain plate covers as rain. (is it stored mast up?)

-now, can you tell me what the wheel bearings taste like? curious minds want to know... 8)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

While it is not a good practice to taste unknowns it use to be a standard analytical test. .. ;-)

Right! And we used to pipette by mouth :D.... and the Latin word for sour is Acidius but I don't recommend to my students they taste the acids in lab...;)\

But I get your point. :)

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Right! And we used to pipette by mouth :D.... and the Latin word for sour is Acidius but I don't recommend to my students they taste the acids in lab...;)\

But I get your point. :)
If you want to really freak out go into the lab and see your technician pipetting by mouth the seed for a BOD. The seed is made by taking material from the biological waste digestors, and is used it to measure the biological oxygen demand on sewage.

I worked mainly for small companies and the quality responsibilities ranged from wasted water monitoring to pharmaceutical test and regulatory compliance, FDA, EPA, Kosher, and several others

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

the centerboard cable exits through the sink cabinet? and water entering that would be salt. so its logical to think that is salt water that entered thought the cable? (solution: stuff a sponge in the tube)..
What Bill said. If it is in the area of the hatch (under sink door) I'll bet that the hose clamp is not tight where...

...the tube above attaches to the fiberglass below it. I put a second hose clamp clocked 180 to the first there and no more leaks. Since we run with so much weight that junction is slightly under water for us.

Another place to check is....

...the tube from the sink to the hull side. You can and will get water in there heeling and if the connections are not tight you could get a leak there.

Welcome to the forum and I would of tasted it the same way,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

the centerboard cable exits through the sink cabinet? and water entering that would be salt. so its logical to think that is salt water that entered thought the cable? (solution: stuff a sponge in the tube).

and the water in the bilge is probably NOT salt. but entered through the chain plate covers as rain. (is it stored mast up?)

-now, can you tell me what the wheel bearings taste like? curious minds want to know... 8)
And it's a pretty good bet no-one is peeing in your sink right? ;)

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Tasting is common with "old salts" who know what is stored on their boats and really want to find out if that errant stream or puddle means the boat is sinking!
Funny, there is a "I learned this from that" story in the current (and my last boat show freebie) issue of Sail where a couple making for the Bahamas think they are sinking, call for help, turn back and prepare to watch their prize boat head for the bottom, and then the skipper tastes the water! Loose fitting on the pressure water system!

Status
Not open for further replies.