360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There it is!!! The up-side to being old and retired!
I wanted to retire when I was 18. I told everyone, look, right now I have all the energy and desires to do all the things I love to do, why can't I just be retired now, and then when I get old and no longer have that, I'll go to work... Obvious how that worked out for me...

dj

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I just be retired now, and then when I get old and no longer have that, I'll go to work...
That didn't work for me either. Was just thinking, my Dad wanted to be retired longer than he worked; he made that goal. I don't think I'll make that. I obviously worked too long.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
That didn't work for me either. Was just thinking, my Dad wanted to be retired longer than he worked; he made that goal. I don't think I'll make that. I obviously worked too long.
I likely won't get there either. I'll have to get really really old to even get balanced out... Heck, I'm still working and am only beginning to see the end point... Now, with things like the corona virus, that end point may fade...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Work is more than just money. It is a way of thinking, imagining, contributing.

My Dad worked all of his life. When he retired from the Navy he found work in Real Estate and then government management. When his Navy buddy came to him with an idea they formed a company and then I got sucked in to their vortex. Then Dad decided to raise horses. One horse is like having a 12-15 foot dinghy. It needs constant support yet offers simple joyful experience. Having 5 is more than a hobby but less than work. You can clean the stalls in less than an hour. Having 30 horses is a full time job for you and the crew of helpers you become surrounded by, usually girls (that was a pleasant by product of having 30 horses), who all expect more than just the "joy" of being around a horse. He worked all of his life.

I reached a point when I knew there was more to do then sell Milk. With maybe 15 years to go, maybe more, I want to enjoy experiences and encourage others.

Perhaps the reaction to the pandemic will be a paradigm shift for some. We will find we do not need to be as consumer driven as we were in the past. We will consider social distance but also understand the need to break down barriers.

Certainly being "quarantined" forces us to think about our situation. Kind of like the experience of being on a boat without the internet.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Work is more than just money. It is a way of thinking, imagining, contributing.
I can't agree with you more. I've spent the majority of my working life in ways that have only partially allowed the above to be fully developed within myself. I'm am very lucky in that my current job completely understands this and I am allowed, and in fact encouraged, to explore my thinking, imagining and contributing. I was just commenting with one of my co-workers the other day that I would indeed really miss working with them when I retire. But as I have the second "pull" of sailing full time and going to the places I wish, that just won't be enough to keep me here. Retirement will happen as soon as all systems are in place and functioning.

I didn't realize you had horses in your background. I grew up on a horse farm, had my own horse (well, several) for the first couple decades of my life.

I do hope the pandemic forces us to think more about working together rather than pulling us apart. But so far, I see no signs of that happening.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
Well my fellow 2020VancouverIsle360 cruisers attached is the latest news from the office of CBSA (Canadian Border Service Agency).

We are on a 30day wait. No recreational or Tourist visitors permitted beginning today 21 March. They will look at the conditions in 30 days and make a new decision. Now if we could figure out how to make our trip an "Essential" trip they might look the other way...

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
I've been thinking perhaps we should shift from paper to a bidet. Salt water on the boat. No paper needed... No clogging. And it would be "Gray" water... most of the time.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've been thinking perhaps we should shift from paper to a bidet.
I installed a bidet attachment to my toilet yesterday. Not sure yet if it completely eliminates TP yet, the verdict is still out.

New Jersey went on lock down 9pm tonight. No non essential travel but visiting family is allowed. Also, family and romantic partners are exceptions to the 6' social distancing requirements.
I've been told I'm married to my boat so I figure I can travel to visit it and get close to it.

Thinking about 2020VancouverIsle360 will help to pass the time.

Oct 22, 2014
While the current conditions that grip the nation appear to be stopping our adventure, I figured with all this time on my hands I figured there was no harm in finishing the routing around Vancouver Isle. The amount of time spent in Barkley Sound would depend on the level of enjoyment the crews are feeling.

We might just wander around this beautiful area or it may be a time to round the south end and party hardy in Victoria.

The first stop Turtle Island
Map BarkeleySound 1.JPG

In discussing past experiences with Michael he said the "Broken Islands" are a beautiful area.
Map BarkeleySound 2.JPG

At some point we will be stopping in Bamfield where I am told there are delicious"Salmon Burgers" at the seasonal Boardwalk Bistro. Or maybe we will call the Pacific Wilderness Gateway Lodge and test the "fine Dining" and reintroduction into the world haute dîner .
Map BarkeleySound 3.JPG

On leaving Bamfield we have a bit of sailing to do in order to round the south end of the island. Our first goal will be to round Cape Beale. A morning departure is advised by the "local wisdom".
"The collision of currents coombined with wind and shallow depths around the cape can make for heavy going" (Waggoners Guide). So an early departure to meet the Summer westerly breezes and the longshore currents to find our way to Port Renfrew.
Map BarkeleySound 4.JPG

Our next run will be influenced by weather, tidal currents and winds. It could be a long sailing day or we can break it up by hiding in Sooke Harbour. What ever it becomes we will have some time of celebration upon arrival in Victoria.
Map BarkeleySound 5.JPG

Well that routing will get us around the island.

Now if our virus situation can be resolved maybe we will be able to test all this planning and enjoy a little adventure.

Jan 5, 2017
Now that the plan is in place we just need the world to co-operate! Not sure that is going to happen but if worse comes to worse we can dust it off in 2021.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@jssailem , is there a late June/early July window for starting the trip or is a mid June start necessary for the timing of the various passages?

Jan 5, 2017
is there a late June/early July window for starting the trip or is a mid June start necessary for the timing of the various passages?
Ward, I think the main thing is to be back before school starts. The way it's looking right now is it won't happen this year. As long as the infected numbers are going up and not leveling off our Govt. will not reopen the border. If the pandemic is not under control we will not be welcome in a lot of isolated communities. We could be an added strain on their healthcare system. We are already getting messages from other islands and communities that we want to visit that tell us to stay away but come back when this is over. That could all change if someone invents a vaccine but I'm not holding my breath. Bev and I are thinking that our summer will be smaller trips based out of Saturna and not going ashore in other towns.

Oct 22, 2014
I would guess July would be a long shot. One of the benefits of June is it gets us heading north before the crowds get free of their school time. It also means our time on the West side is before Faugust sets in to color our cruise gray.

We will be watching the issues develop. Hopefully the CBSA will find it in their hearts to welcome us sometime in the summer.

Jan 5, 2017
Schools here have been shut down 'til next Sept. so far. That's barring a miracle of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.