360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael has that map hanging in his home. When we visited last February we had the chance to examine it. That moment helped motivate my interest to do the 2020 VancouverIsle 360 Adventure.

Thank you Michael.:biggrin:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Interesting route. I see why it could take so many weeks. Clearly, the trip around VI itself was but one leg. The detour to Princess Louisa Inlet alone could easily consume 4 to 5 days. But looking at the route in this way, i.e in this picture, it dawned that a major part of the ride along the west coast of VI is potentially DDW, that part along the southern half leading into Barkley Sound and the JdF. Are folks planing to rig for a wing-‘n-wing over that part of the route? This is where a boom-brake might prove its worth.
KG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Looks like you might have spent a night or two at Plumper Cove there at Howe Sound. Can’t say I like the place much b/c of the ferry traffic between Horseshoe Bay and Langdale. Ferry rollers can find their way into the anchorage. You can also hear the traffic. If you haven’t been, try Halkett Bay at Gambier Island. Yes, it’s much further if arriving from VI, but not a bad detour if departing Vancouver for your main route up the mainland coast. I don’t notice rollers there. It is cozy.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Looks like you might have spent a night or two at Plumper Cove there at Howe Sound. Can’t say I like the place much b/c of the ferry traffic. The ferry rollers can find their way into the anchorage. You can also hear them. If you haven’t been, try Halkett Bay at Gambier Island. Yes, it’s much further if arriving from VI, but not a bad detour if departing Vancouver for you main route up the mainland coast.
We were actually visiting friends in Gibsons. Haven't been to Halkett Bay for years.but will get back there soon I hope. Just so many places!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That next inlet west of Halkett, Port Graves Bay, up near the camp (Artaban), is also a good spot to anchor. Our flotilla of four yachts anchored there one night after crossing GS from Porlier Pass in August of ‘13. SE wind @ 20 - 25 kt crossing. Just as we all got anchored in about 25 ft, showers hit. Not too long. Just long enough to rinse the boats of the spray we all caught coming over!! So much fun! We were in a Bavaria 44 that trip.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
For those of you who see "patterns and pictures" in clouds, I see the profile of a gentleman in the NW corner of Vancouver Island in John's photo of Mike's chart. Maybe even another one further east (the photo is about 45 degrees off kilter).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael, I had forgotten about this 2017 image from the marina in Port Browning. It is daybreak and I am preparing to get underway for what turned out to be a glorious day sail to Port Townsend.

The morning colors raised a few hairs on the back of my neck...
Red Sky at night... Sailors delight. Red Sky in morning... Sailors take warning.

1E0D4CD7-0DFC-405D-B2EB-67380132A5A0.jpeg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I remember when you posted that Pic. The hill in the background is Warburton Pike, 3rd highest hill in the Gulf Islands and on my home island. I posted a pic in our 2018 trip from the top of it looking back into Port Browning.

Status
Not open for further replies.