360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We will have him send a photo that we put up in the boat so all can see.

Promise not to throw darts at any photo even if encouraged at one of the public house stops along the way.:biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I too am getting excited about this trip. Current plan is for @lehighsail and I to join John on S/V Hadley in Nanaimo for the trip up the west side, over the top around Cape Scott and into Coal Harbor. Then we'll hop a bus to Port Hardy to begin the flights home.

One of the highlights of last years winter trip was meeting fellow SBO members. Looking forward to meeting @DrJudyB, @dLj and others on this trip. And to seeing @Michael Davis and Bev again.

2020 is shaping up to be a great sailing year!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I only wish I could be there for the entire trip. Looks like I'll miss you Les....

dj

Oct 22, 2014
Dave.
Take a selfie. Will print to and put on a stick.You’ll be with us in spirit. Will take some photos of the calm side and share as we sail the Wild Side of Vancouver.

I think Jeff Dunham created the idea.

1581729827700.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I found another map of Vancouver Isle.
View attachment 174775
John, a while back you mailed out this map of Vancouver Island. Shows a few more towns/ports. I didn't see where it was posted in this thread so here it is.
I printed out a few copies and now I'm marking them up with the proposed route and stops as you post them.
Cruise 2020 Vancouver Isle.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
JOHNSTONE STRAIT and other considerations...
The other evening, my wife leaned over my shoulder to examine what I was doing on the computer.

• "Why are you spending so much time looking at those sailing charts?" she asked.
  • So I safely transit around Vancouver Island and come home to you...
What causes me to explore the maps and zoom in on such places as Seymour Narrows?

This little bit of data from Wiki...
Seymour Narrows is a 5-kilometre (3.1 mi) section of the Discovery Passage in British Columbia known for strong tidal currents. Discovery Passage lies between Vancouver Island at Menzies Bay, British Columbia and Quadra Island except at its northern end where the eastern shoreline is Sonora Island. The section known as Seymour Narrows begins about 18 km (11 mi) from the south end of Discovery Passage where it enters the Georgia Strait near Campbell River. For most of the length of the narrows, the channel is about 750 metres (820 yd) wide. Through this narrow channel, currents can reach 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph).​
Seymour Narrows was described by Captain George Vancouver as "one of the vilest stretches of water in the world." Even after Ripple Rock was removed (the locals blew up the rock in 5 April 1958 Ripple Rock - Wikipedia ), it remains a challenging route. In March 1981, the freighter Star Philippine ran aground in the narrows.​
And this on the Canadian Hydrographic Service Charts.​
32BA5FF4-1D85-451A-B6B8-96EB62D13817_4_5005_c.jpeg
The goal is to safely passage between Campbell River at the northern end of Georgia Strait (in the lower right corner of the map) and Port Mc Neill which is on Queen Charollet Strait (in the upper left corner of the chart).
DA0DB1CF-4580-428A-80AD-47FC00886F74.jpeg

The most direct route is Johnstone Strait. It is also one of the more dangerous passages of water which begins with Discovery Passage (Seymour Narrows).
79F16ABB-B645-47AA-B314-BC1556EC7251.jpeg

As the satellite image shares, there are not a lot of warm and inviting pubs along this stretch of water. The Canadian Sailing Directions for this area describes it as, "Settlements in the area are limited."

So how will we do it?

In my discussions with Michael Davis and Leo using their local knowledge of the waters, we will circumvent the more dangerous "narrows", mind the weather, and time our travel through the rapids, narrows, and overfalls at slack.

Oct 22, 2014
Cruise Routing...
Here is what I mean when considering caution or green light routing.

Starting at Drew Harbour, near Campbell river the route will take us to the East side of Quadra Island, avoiding Seymour Narrows, up Hoskyn Channel. A stop in Waiatt Bay and a chance to explore the Octopus Islands Marine Park.
1E85521D-545A-4088-AB0F-ECD5FA52C209_1_201_a.jpeg
Then up to Okisollo Channel and out across the strait to Chatham Point where we can rest in Otter Cove and decide on the conditions presented in Johnstone Strait. Our plan is to visit the Blind Channel Resort in Mayne Passage. If the Strait is nasty we can go up the east side of East Thrulow Island through Nodales Channel - Cordero Channel approaching Blind Channel Resort from the North. If the Strait is pleasant then our day will be much shorter and more time to explore the resort.
CA9ED255-4B94-4997-9A78-E2E3009926E7_1_201_a.jpeg
Our morning routine will start again. Wake up... Make coffee... What is the Johnstone Strait weather.
B8B90D35-B544-4BE4-A03D-658E487546CA_1_201_a.jpeg
Decide on route.
AAD04EF4-57AD-4C86-9038-673615E3B3CB_1_201_a.jpeg
Note the famed Broughton Archipelago Marine Park is just NE of the west end of Johnstone Strait. Should the weather put us near Port McNeill early we might take a day to explore this area and wet our appetite for future adventure. I read somewhere that when you go north from Port McNeill you are traveling back in time. Back to the wilds.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
John do you use Ports and passage ( Ports and Passes ) it has all the currents and rapids that we will be transiting. When I get back home (in Bellingham tonight) I'll see if I can get a copy. As for Seymour Narrows the problem area is only about 2 km (Wilfred point to Plumper point) the rest of the area you are talking about is no problem. There are lots of places that you can anchor over night just out side of the narrows Menzise Bay (great for Crabs) and just across there's another bay about 3 miles south is Gowlland harbour good holding in mud, stayed in this spot many times 45 min. north of Campbell river. BTW is Dr B flying out at Campbell river or Comox as we could drive her to the airport.

Oct 22, 2014
I do not yet know. Suspect the plans are in the making. That is a lovely offer.

I have tidal data. Have a 2019 Ports and Passes. Not good for 2020. I’ll have to check with Waggoners. The Coastal Explorer software used the Canadian Hydrographic Service data. It locates the currents on the chart based on the entered date and time. I have checked it against the Canadian web site. So far data has matched

Oct 22, 2014
NORTH END of Vancouver Island
We last discussed the West end of Johnstone Strait with our arrival Port McNeill.

As can be seen in the aerial view of the city it is more than a settlement in the woods.

The tourists books say...

Port McNeill is a grade-A stepping stone to outdoor adventure. Vancouver Island North’s second-largest community proudly co-exists with the rich natural resources of land and sea.
For us Port McNeill is a site to provision and prepare for our south bound leg along the Pacific Side of the Island.

Our stops here will provide the chance to pick up crew and final inspection of our boats for the Ocean leg of the trip. The airport is located outside of Port Hardy.

When ready we will anchor in Bull Harbor, Hope Island. We will watch the weather for our window to leave Bull Harbour run across the Nahwitti Bar and round Cape Scott.

North VI Cape Scott.png

Our best tidal opportunity is between 28 June and 30June based on tidal charts. The expectation is to meet the slack across the bar and ride the Ebb current down through the Cape Scott passage. HIGH TIDE for Cape Scott is listed as 28June 0700, 29June 0816, and 30June 0933. All three days give us adequate time to get up raise anchor and head out to sea to meet the slack across Nahwitti Bar and ride the Ebb out and around Cape Scott with plenty of daylight. Our plan is to round the Cape and sail south to Quatsino Sound. Our anchorage will be near Winter Harbour. The plan as long as the weather cooperates and gives us fair sky's and moderate seas.

We'll spend a few days exploring the sound and sailing up to Coal Harbour. This will give our exiting crew a chance to catch bus to a plane in Port Hardy and back to civilization.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
BTW is Dr B flying out at Campbell river or Comox as we could drive her to the airport.
I need to fly home on Saturday, June 20th, or at the latest, Sunday June 21st so I can be back to "work" on Monday.

I'm hoping/planning to arrive at Cambell River in time for me to fly home from there on June 20th. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll leave the flotilla at Comox. That gives me a day or two of safe margin if the weather doesn't cooperate. I have researched connections from Campbell River Airport already, but not yet done the same for Comox Airport

Oh, I am sad that I can't continue through to Port McNeil or Port Hardy!!!! What an adventure that would be. And a rare chance to learn local knowledge from the locals like Leo and Mike.

Judy
PS.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
The timing is such that we may be able to stay with you until Winter Harbour, then continue back to Port Ludlow on the outside. Weather permitting, of course. That would be an incredible opportunity.

Oct 22, 2014
That would be exciting @mermike . I met with a couple at the Seattle Boat Show who talked about their run down the West side, 2 stops then Victoria. They had left the Gwaii Haida area - Cape St James after spending too many "glorious days" and felt compelled to "run" the coast. After that preface they said "You really need 5-6 weeks to enjoy the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Boy that would be nice, but I'd have to be retired...

sj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Dave... When you leave just tell the boss, "I'll be back!"

Worked for Arnold...
We had a researcher go home to India for Christmas break and when he went to the airport to come back, the US Homeland security wouldn't let him get on the plane to come back. He was stranded there for close to 6 months. He at least had his computer with him and we have a center there also. But it was a bit touch and go. We really didn't need him in our offices in India. He did make it back, and did keep his job but it was getting really close to not...

dj

Status
Not open for further replies.