360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
well, john and all others. i have been happily google map investigating all these different places you all have been mentioning. been listening to all the explanations of what to see and expect. ...all this chat has been fun for me to follow, thanks!
Hi Jon ... tried to add more info to place names so it will be easier to find locations.
very different than great lakes sailing/ cruising.
The currents are a significant factor.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
If you leave Nanaimo in a westerly , go out thru Departure Bay. That lets you clear Gabriola easily on one tack. Futher out it will swing from north to westerly. One tack will put you in the lee of Lasqueti , where you can anchor for the night . One tack from Lasqueti will put you in the lee of Hornby . Sheltered water from there to Comox. One tack from Comox puts you behind Savary . Protected from there .
If you leave Nanaimo in a Southeasterly, leave from the south harbour entrance . That lets you leave in flat water. From Departure bay gives you a big ,rough swelll on the nose, leaving the harbour

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
If Johnston Strait is a howling westerly, you can find calm water by going the back way , Greene Point Rapids and Wellbore Channel ,only joining Johnstone Strait NE of Kelsey Bay. There, a morning break in the westerlies can let you make Port Neville, or maybe even Havanna Channel, letting you avoid the rest of Johnston Strait, by going the back way again .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is the next installment of our 2020 cruise With a couple of maps to help orient the progress.

Continuing North:
  • June 17 Nanaimo to Lasqueti Island False Bay. May the winds be favorable as we leave the shelter of Nanaimo Harbour with our New Jersey Crew and head 294° M for 29nm jaunt across the northern end of Georgia Strait. Our route takes us along the Western edge of Area WG. This is an Air, Subsurface and surface operations exercise and firing area. I here that Sailboat rights of way are not considered when the range is hot. If we find our way safely up Ballenas Channel then False Bay on the North West side of Lasqueti Island offers anchorage, a public dock and a step back in time on the entirely off-the-grid island, population 399.
  • June 18 Finds us pulling up anchor and heading to Comox. If the weather is favorable, we will shoot up Stevens Passage in the Strait on the east side of Hornby and Denman Islands. This will take us north of White Spit and across the Comox Bar into Comox harbor. Alternatively, If weather dictates we will run the 9-10nm westerly across the Strait and seek the more sheltered waters of Baynes Sound. Currents at the south end of Baynes Channel can run 2-3 knots.
  • June 19 Comox to Drew Harbour on the East side of Quadra Island. This 35nm day takes us to the northern end of Georgia Strait. To the east lies Desolation Sound and Cortes Island. With good wind out of the east or south this could be a great sailing day. Mostly open water. Heriot Bay Inn and Marina offers marina resources and a place to stock up with ice or food. The 2019 June rates at $1.45 a ft. Heriot Bay Marina, Quadra Island | Quadra Island, BC | Heriot Bay Inn The Heriot Bay Inn was founded in 1895 by Hosea Arminis Bull. Burned to the ground and rebuilt in 1912. The Inn has seen several ownership changes and remodeling yet through the vision of local island ownership it remains a rustic site in spectacular surroundings offering delicious Pacific Northwest cuisine.
Map A.JPG

• June 20 Drew Harbour to Waiatt Bay/Octopus Islands. We have crossed the Tidal Divide on this section of the Inside Passage. Up until now the Ebb has been to the south and Flood to the North. Once north of Oyster Bay this all changes. Since Cruisers adapt to the schedule of the tides and mark time by the position of the sun. We must adjust our clocks for sunrise at 05:12 and 9:32 Tidal Slack at Beazley Passage. With 8-9 nm to go to reach the passage and the opportunity to ride an ebb current it will be an early morning departure. With only 13 nm to go to reach the Octopus Islands This may be a short day depending on the weather. Or we might push through the area and make a run up Johnson Strait to Blind Channel resort. It is all about the weather.
  • June 21 Having celebrated the Summer Solstice We have arrived at the Eastern end of Johnson Strait. Wind and current direction can make this Westerly run A joyful experience or one to be avoided If the winds are fair and currents favorable we might make a dash west through the strait. While missing some of the island channels this would put us in Port Mc Neill or Port Hardy a couple of days early. Our alternative is to avoid the strait charting our route through the islands. Around he north side of Thurlow Islands, and Hardwicke Island. This route is longer and would have us anchoring in Forward Harbor. Reading the reviews of the area, this anchorage gets 3-4 stars by boaters as a place to stop. On cautionary note Beware of Cougars. One visitor reported their dog was taken while on the beach. No feeding the wild animals crew. This is the Wild Pacific NW.
Map B.JPG

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Herriot Bay Marina the docks are not the best, you can go to Taku Resort in Drew Harbour you can also anchor at Rebeca Spit. From Taku to Herriot bay is about 10 min walk there's also a store along the way for food and booze.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@Michael Davis

All of June except June except June 22-26. Also early July. I can fly up, spend two weeks, then fly home. I’ll have to clear it with my husband to accommodate his schedule, but it’s early enough that he’s pretty flexible.

I’ve cruised up there between Olympia and the southern gulf islands five times on my own trailerable, solo and with crew, for 10-14 days apiece, in the past. It’s just beautiful!

Judy

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Here is the next installment of our 2020 cruise With a couple of maps to help orient the progress.
Nice work, John. Love Rebecca Spit. Been there a few times on our various cruises. Largest oysters (dinner plate size) I've ever eaten. Just as sweet and tender as the small ones. But, trying to get it open enough to slice the muscle, sheesh, what a chore.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Wow, I just found this thread. I guess i never go to the end of all the lists of various groups on SBO... So I'm in - joining at Port Hardy and going around the top and down the west side. John and I have been chatting, I guess he knew I hadn't seen this thread...

It's really sounding like an amazing trip! Wish I had the time off from work to do the entire circumference but not in the cards this year.

dj

Jun 25, 2004
I’m in too! I’ll be joining John from Everett WA to Victoria, BC. I’ll join Mike on his boat at Victoria, and continue north to Campbell River Airport or Quadra Island, where I will sadly leave the flotilla to catch a ferry and/ or plane back home to California.

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So nice @dLj getting boat ready. A couple of more boats have indicated participation. It’s is going to be a Grand Adventure.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I’m in too! I’ll be joining John from Everett WA to Victoria, BC. I’ll join Mike on his boat at Victoria, and continue north to Campbell River Airport or Quadra Island, where I will sadly leave the flotilla to catch a ferry and/ or plane back home to California.

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:
This means we will miss each other? Darn! I would have loved to sail together on this trip at least for a bit... :(

dj

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
This trip is looking like more and more fun! Will be so nice to put faces to so many S.B.O. members.

Jun 25, 2004
Yes, this is shaping up to be a Grand Adventure! It will be great to meet SBO people face to face! :D

Sorry that I will miss meeting folks like dj!!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.